Topic

Snoqualmie Pass?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Ian BPL Member
PostedSep 24, 2013 at 11:10 am

I'm going to ride a 50 mile section of the John Wayne Trail this coming weekend. The plan is to car camp the first night but we're not all that interested in staying at a campground like Denny Creek or Lake Easton State Park. If memory serves, there are a couple forest service roads accessible from I-90.

Any of you 206ers have a lead on a legal spot in that area for stealth camping near Snoqualmie Pass summit (give or take 15 miles)?

Kris Sherwood BPL Member
PostedSep 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Just east of the pass take the exit to Lake Kachess and head north. There are lots of spots off of the roads back in there to camp.

Ian BPL Member
PostedSep 24, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Thanks Kris we'll check that area out. From looking at Google maps, appears there might be a road across the interstate from the ski resort which will take us out to the boondocks as well.

Though about just taking it in a mile or so down the PCT but wouldn't want to subject any of the hikers to our Friday night buffoonery.

Curt Peterson BPL Member
PostedSep 26, 2013 at 7:58 am

Ian,

There are a couple camping pads right along the Iron Horse Trail. Tent pads, toilets – very lux for the backpacker, actually. Not sure exactly where, but I'll bet Ranger Google would know. I know there's at least one between the Pass and Rattlesnake.

What's your total route? Easton to Rattlesnake? Just curious. I live right by Rattlesnake and have been toying with a trip along the Iron Horse for awhile. I've dayhiked chunks of it, but mostly to get to other locations that shoot off of it. I'd love to do a Columbia River-to-home trip. Kind of want to walk it, actually, but I also think it's time to start playing around more with bikepacking so might got that route first.

Definitely post up a quick report! I'd love to hear your experience. Not a typical backpacking trail for sure, but lots of possibilities for longer distances and shoulder-winter season walks or bikes for sure.

Have fun!

Ian BPL Member
PostedSep 26, 2013 at 2:53 pm

We looked at a couple of those campground but decided to car camp out in the woods somewhere so we could act like crazed monkeys without disturbing other campers.

You nailed the route; Easton to Rattlesnake. We're looking at setting up our bikes for bikepacking but don't have all of the gear yet. They're missing the lightweight shelters and sleep systems while I'm missing frame/handlebar bag et al. Figured this would be a nice day trip and we'll buy work on getting the gear this winter.

I'll do a TR in the BPL Bikepacking section when we return even though we're slackpacking it.

Curt Peterson BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Good call! We get a ton of rain out here – more than double Seattle even though it's only 30 miles East. An inch in a day is a lot – non-stop rain all day. I'm hearing 5-6 inches on the West slopes and up to 8 inches in places! Isn't that a hurricane dumpage?

Anybody camping on this half of the state will be floating away it sounds. Next weekend looks much better – hope you are able to reschedule it soon.

Ian BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Yeah when I saw rain in the forecast, I didn't think much of it. Figured it'd be typical North Bend rain.

Put on your PFD and hold! I'm going to hold my breath throughout the weekend and hope we don't lose any more highways to mudslides.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...