Topic

Jhaura’s sub-4 lb. 3-Season List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Jhaura’s sub-4 lb. 3-Season List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Here's my new sub-4 list. Pictures of all gear to come soon. Thanks to Sam H. for hooking me up with Google Spreadsheets!

gear

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Impressive. Your own spreadsheet matrix?

I like that your List header included the parameters for use. Where might you be using this?

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Nice. Like how you separated out the Dr. Bronner's soap container (hygiene) from the actual consumable soap.

How long have you used a Platy as a pillow?

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Looks like an excellent gear list. Amazing how much you can actually carry for being sub-4

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Steve,

Thanks for the comments. I've been using the platy pillow for about a year now. I'm still on the same bottle. It works well with air or water about 3/4 full. It's no luxury to be sure, but if I have something to wrap it in it is not bad, a little crinkly. :)

KD,

This is my list for Southern California mountains, but I will be using it on the JMT in July, I'm doing Red Meadows, Mammoth to Whitney.

Best, Jhaura

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I've been using the platy pillow too. The night I figured that out was really nice :)

Gabriel August

@gaugust

Locale: Penn's Woods

excellent list. my windshirt weighs 14 ounces so i need a freakin golite (or houdini).

just one question. not to be a PITA, but if you're trimming weight this far do you really need 15 butterfly bandaids? just curious why so many. i take two.

really a great list. i could learn a lot.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Gabriel,

Is that a windshirt or a goretex parka? :)

With regard to the butterflys I tend to use two-three bandages per day on wounds. With butterflys there is no padding so there is less need for regular change of bandage and cleaning. But I pack for 5 days out and 3 bandages per day. Maybe there will be more than one cut?

Thanks for the comments and upgrade that windshirt!

Gabriel August

@gaugust

Locale: Penn's Woods

it is a marmot driclime jacket. it's actually one of the first pieces of gear i got. nice jacket but way too heavy for what i need.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Chris,

RE: >>How did you convert the spreadsheet to a usable format for display on the web page?

Hey there. It's not easy. From the spreadsheet app (google or excel) I used primopdf to print the sheet as a pdf file. If you have acrobat you can use that too. Basically you are printing to a pdf file instead of paper, which is the same as creating an image or picture of the sheet.

Once you have a pdf or image of the spreadsheet you can open it in an image editing program like photoshop and save it as a GIF file (gif is same as jpeg, but creates a smaller file size when the image is not photographic in nature).

Next, when you have a web type image you can just create a new post on BPL and upload the image using their tool or host it elsewhere and link to it (better option because you can keep the image size larger, BPL will shrink your image if it is too big, dimensions wise, not megabytes wise.

Notes:

— Set primopdf to use the "Print" settings rather than "Screen".

— Open in Photoshop and choose 96 dpi import resolution if you used small text in your spreadsheet and don't use anti-aliasing if that is an option, it will blur your text.

— Save for web as "GIF", should be about 45k max file size for large spreadsheet.

A quick and dirty option is to use the key on your keyboard labelled "Print Screen" if you have a PC. This takes a picture of whatever is on the screen at that time and saves it to the clipboard. I an image editing program you can create an new file and paste the sheet in. If the sheet is longer than the screen you can do two or three "Print Screens" to capture it all.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

If you are using Excel, here is another way to convert spreadsheet contents into picture images.

Highlight the area you want to convert, hold down the shift key and select 'Edit' from the menu bar. Select 'Copy Picture…' from the drop-down menu. Open MS Paint and paste the picture waiting in the clipboard. Click and drag a corner or use the 'Image' tools to resize the picture as needed. Then save it.

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

Ahhh Fenix Cree.. good choice! I have the same in a Q2. Awesome light… and light too;)

Great gear list!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools