Topic

UL Tents good in light – medium snow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL Tents good in light – medium snow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Grayson

@ryangrayson

I'll be hiking the PCT southbound starting late June 2014. Do you think I will need a 4-season tent, or will a Tarp Tent Notch or Contrail be good?

Also, a friend told me his contrail doesn't keep rain out very well. Said it blows in underneath. Is this user error? Do any of you had experience with this tent?

Thanks!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I would suggest the Notch.
    About the same weight as the Contrail but easier to use on snow.
    In fact I would not deliberatelly take the Contrail if I expect snow.
    This is my Notch :
    Notch Hotham
    Notch Sterling

This is how the Contrail should look inside :
    Contrail inside
    (sorry about the mess…)
    When set up correctly the Contrail has about 1 foot clearance between the fly and the floor.

If you look in my Franco Darioli You Tube Channel you will see several Contrail in the rain clips
    BTW…
    franco@tarptent

Ryan Grayson

@ryangrayson

Thanks for the suggestion! I suspected user error in setting up the Contrail, but I couldn't be sure. I'm leaning toward the Notch. Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

If you're looking for shelter that will serve you well through a thru-hike as well as the winter months, I'd highly recommend a mid with bug net insert, such as the MLD Duomid.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Golite Shangri-la 2 ?????

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I would get a mid with bug inner. You are not likely to have fresh snow, you will likely have miles and miles of consolidated snow. The last thing I would worry about with your schedule is a snow worthy shelter. You may have many other challenges such as crampons, ice axe, foot ware, navigation etc.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Yeah, I'm a mid fan, too. They are steep enough to do well in moderate snow. If you can only afford one shelter, I maintain that a mid is a good do-anything choice.

I detest inners, though. I just use a light bivy- it replaces both a groundsheet and bugnet, and will resist any light spray that might miraculously work it's way under the tent walls, for <6oz. For 20oz a DuoMid is a palace for one person, and can be pitched using a trek pole as the center pole if you put a rock under it.

The only TarpTent I have owned was a Moment- which was actually quite AWESOME and pitched wicked fast but I wanted to simplify things so I went mid. I never used it in snow but the reports say that it does ok in moderate loads using the optional longitudinal pole.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

Lil Bug out in some snow in Alaska

snow on shelter

I have a ton more snow photos. They can hold up well depending on configuration

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools