Topic

Toe Sock Hunt Update

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Toe Sock Hunt Update

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I posted about hunting for toe socks recently and decided to update you guys on what I found, just in case it's useful to anyone.

Injinji Midweight Trail Socks:

These socks are awesome. The tall cuff is very secure, and they're about as thick as a traditional hiking sock. The fit in my Vibram EL-X shoes was too tight, but the fit in my Vibram KSO's was perfect and they felt great as hiking socks in my boots, too. Durability after about 50 miles is, so far, just fine. No signs of wear.

Smartwool PHD Toe Socks:

These could not be more lightweight. I can see skin through them all over the place. I am not even going to bother testing durability and risk wasting $20; I will just use these as liner socks instead. I wanted to post this so people knew that the picture Smartwool uses to sell these socks belies just how thin they actually are. Not particularly pleased, but we'll see about the long-term. I am comfortable wearing them under the EL-X's, though, and since there's not a lot of friction in such a tight shoe, durability should be better.

Smartwool Non-PHD Toe Socks:

I have two pairs of these with about ~100 miles apiece on them, including some decent race distances in running shoes. The durability hasn't been great. Both pairs are wearing at the heel, forefoot, and the outside edge near my pinky toe. They're not ribbed like the PhD socks are, so they don't provide any compression. I found them overall useful and a much better price than the PhD socks, but I would consider them liner socks for winter or disposable "race day" socks, if you don't need the compression.

Injinji Liner Socks:

I tested these earlier this year. They wore holes after one use. Don't waste your time unless you're going for disposable.

I am still looking for a 100% wool (or 95%+) sock that has the same thickness and durability of the Injinji Trails. Someone call Darn Tough.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Darn Tough socks typically use anywhere from around 30% to 45% nylon (and some lycra) in their socks, which is part of the reason of why they are darn tough ;) Edit: I should specify that this is in their Merino based socks. They also have Coolmax polyester based socks too.

100% Merino socks would fall apart fairly quick in comparison.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools