I'm having a heck of a time determining or finding info on bear can requirements for SEKI and Yosemite. More specifically, what is approved. I have an old, green Ursack TKO with the aluminum insert upgrade and a Bearicade Weekender along with me. The Garcia is at home in the closet. Help!
Headed out Thursday after work if the snow is gone by then up high. Snow on Jobes Peak which is SE of Lk Tahoe, can see it from work. May go to Evolution Valley via Lemarck Col or if I can't get to any place worth seeing in a five/six day trip, may opt for Yosemite.
Duane
Topic
Latest bear can requirements for SEKI/Yose?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
For Yosemite or SEKI, just about any commercial hard bear canister is OK. I've gotten my permit before with Garcia, Bear Vault, and Bear Boxer. I have never seen anybody getting a permit with Ursack.
At most of the permit stations in Yosemite, they have a printed illustration that shows each of the common commercial hard bear canisters. They ask you which one you have, and you have to point at the right one in the illustration. If you have -something- that is not in the illustration, they will ask to see it, and that will give them a chance to reject something that is nonapproved.
–B.G.–
The approved list is here.
Yosemite
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/containers.htm
SEKI
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/2013-Wilderness-Food-Storage-Guidance-FINAL-2.pdf
For overall information and requirements in other jurisdictions
http://www.sierrawild.gov/bears/allowed-bear-canisters
Backcountry rangers are more practical so if you happen to have something like the Bearikade Scout or a custom sized Bearikade that are not officially approved I highly doubt and there would be any question.
Thank you, on my break.
Duane
"Backcountry are more practical so if you happen to have something like the Bearikade Scout or a custom sized Bearikade that are not officially approved I highly doubt and there would be any question."
I believe all versions of the Bearikade are accepted. I have the bearikade Scout and in response to the question I have answered Bearikade or Bearikade Scout and I they have always accepted that.
Last week, I was able to see where cans were required in SEKI, but could not find the list of approved canisters. I brought my TKO and my Weekender both in case I went one place or the other. One for peace of mind, the other for any approved canister areas. I'll have to see how deep snow is later.
Duane
Become a member to post in the forums.

