Topic

Layering in the Sierras for 35-55 degrees?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Steve Davis BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 1:17 am

So I'm doing this 20 mile 2 nighter this weekend in the Yosemite high country. Temps are supposed be around 30-60 degrees, but it's still 4 days away so who knows. Slight chance of showers/snow.

What layers would u wear? This is what I'm thinking…

Upper body
1) Synthetic base layer
2) Long sleeve Kuhl Cofenna Lightweight Zippered Hoodie
3) Lightweight Patagonia Down Jacket
4) Poncho (if it rains)

Head
1) Ultralight Microfleece Beanie

Hands
1) 1 Polypro Liner Gloves

Lower Body
1) Synthetic base layer
2) REI Zip-Off Synthetic pants

Is this gonna be warm enough? Is it overkill? Thanks.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 2:59 am

Single layer Taslan windshirt, single layer Taslan trousers.
It's above freezing. The amount of clothing you have listed will give you heat exhaustion!

OK, carry one light thermal top for camp.
If there's a real chance of snow, a light fleece might be good.

Cheers

Paul Wagner BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 8:43 am

I don't wear many layers while I am hiking, because I very quickly warm up and start sweating.

But don't let that convince you that you don't need warm clothes. Once I stop hiking, I get cold pretty easily. Your layers are just about at the lighter edge of what I would take on top…and on the bottom, I take a warm pair of ski overalls to wear in camp. If I don't I freeze standing around the campsite–or have to get into my sleeping bag.

Steve Davis BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 9:08 pm

i've revised my original post to reflect my plan. i dont have temps that cold near me so i cant properly test. anyone else have input? i'm sure i have enough for during hiking, but what about while in camp sitting around?

Lou Z BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I wear a thermal under layer under a long sleeve shirt/pants. I keep a small fleece or jacket just in case it gets really cold.

This past weekend I was just in the se-king area and got 2 inches of unexpected snow. It was a cold night. Looks like snow is starting to come in some places.

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 10:01 pm

That sounds good, but you aren't going to be wearing all of that while hiking.
The synthetic hoody is important if you caught in a storm this late in the season. It won't crap out on you while wet.
The down jacket will be useful around camp or for sleeping in.

Steve Davis BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 10:03 pm

yeah i figure it's just for camp. during hiking i'll just put it away.

Kiel Senninger BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 10:04 pm

You'll be fine, barring any storms like last week. That's generally what I take. All the insulation comes off once I hit the sun, except maybe the gloves if it's still chilly in the morning. Worst comes to worst, just hop in your sleeping bag in camp.

Steve Davis BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 10:07 pm

true. LOVING my new 20 degree zpacks bag. so warm and only 17 oz!

Eng-Shien Wu BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Just want to warn you that most weather sites (weather.com and wunderground.com) don't have the right temperature forecast for Tuolumne Meadows area (they don't have a station there). I've learned that from many Tuolumne visits, including one this past weekend.

Instead, I would check out:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?textField1=37.87111&textField2=-119.36#.UkEamGRstD4

Also, I would bring chains. 120 closed this past weekend for a day.

PostedSep 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Oh yeah! At that link currently shows a temp of 13 degrees (10 pm) and potentially some more snow over next couple of days. We hardly knew ye summer.

Eng-Shien Wu BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Fair enough.. the weather looks clear too. May backpack somewhere out there too this weekend (don't have Friday off or would be tempted to join you). This past Saturday was pretty miserable–lots of freezing rain/heavy snow. But Sunday was absolutely gorgeous. Cold and crisp. Fresh layer of snow. Then it melted and became a wet mess.

Steve Davis BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 10:29 pm

yeah, i was supposed to go backpack in desolation wilderness last weekend. i ended up canceling cuz of the rain/snow.

PostedSep 24, 2013 at 3:20 pm

We were at Kearsarge Pass this past weekend, to enjoy the winds and snow storm that snapped in. Out of the tent, at 6:30am, it was 26 degrees and I wore almost exactly what you listed. My feet were cold, but everything else was spot on. The night before, it was 34 outside in the wind and I was fine, albeit with cold air on my legs in some gusts.

My list is: tech-tee, Patagonia Cap-4 shirt, Patagonia down sweater, Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon, Precip jacket, and then below: summer-weight long underwear, REI Sahara pants, REI mid-wool hikers. Hands were "Head" neoprene gloves from CostCo. That's pretty similar to what you listed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Loading...