Topic

Backpacking alone in the back country?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Steve Davis BPL Member
PostedSep 22, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Hey Folks,

So I have plans to backpack in the Yosemite High Country this weekend… Friday morning-Sunday afternoon. I'm gonna be doing a 20 mile loop from Tolumne Meadows to Vogelsang Peak and back via Rafferty Creek and Lyell Canyon back. I couldn't find anyone to go with me so I'm gonna go on my own.

Do you have any advice for backpacking alone? Especially in high elevation where bears are around? This will be my first time backpacking alone. I'm planning to camp in the areas most likely to have other people. Thanks.

-Steve

Kiel Senninger BPL Member
PostedSep 22, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Let someone know where you're going. Tell them you're route, camps, possible alternatives you have in mind, when they should hear from you. and a call the authorities if you don't hear from me by x:xx time. For me that time is usually a good 18 hours after the absolute latest I expect to be back to a phone or cell service.

I try to avoid unnecessary risks like scrambling up/down stuff that I don't need to, stepping between versus hopping between rocks.

I haven't run into any bears but I think just doing what you'd normally do in a bear encounter and storing your food is appropriate. If there's a lot of people where you're camping, I'd keep a look out for poor camp kitchen practices and avoid being any where near those groups.

Bring your phone with some games or something,
iPod or book if you think you might get bored or spooked in camp to keep your mind off the bumps in the night.

I love going by myself.
Have fun!

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 12:28 am

Just do it and don't think about it. Really!
I find that solo camping is easier in the summer months. By the time it gets dark it's late and you are ready to sleep. Solo camping in the winter can be miserable, hours of darkness before you're tired with nobody to talk to.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 6:44 am

Maybe don't go so far away from civilization the first few trips? Sounds like you're already thinking along those lines if you're planning on going to areas that have other people.

Definitely have an itenerary and report back when you get back so they can send someone to rescue you.

I solo backpack all the time

PostedSep 23, 2013 at 8:04 am

I think it's wise to take a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) or a Sat Phone when going solo.

Almost all my trips have been solo for decades… it's the best! You see more wild life, notice more of the small things, and hear the sounds that you wouldn't while jabbering with a hiking partner. And as a bonus, you get to walk your own pace, camp where and when you like.

As for bears, you are less likely to encounter bears going solo as the smell 'footprint' on one is less than two…
Still, I've encountered many bears over the years while going solo and never had a problem with them… they're beautiful creatures and they're not looking for problems, just food.

Personally, when I go solo I make it a point to go way out of my way to camp away for others as I feel more immersed in the wilderness, more in tune with it, when the sounds and sights of others and there camps are not present…

Bill D

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 8:31 am

Do let someone know where you are going and set a due back/contact time.

I enjoy the pace of solo trips. I'm not into covering a lot of ground: seeing and experiencing the places is my goal. I can indeed "March to the beat of a different drummer."

Have a great trip!

Paul Wagner BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 8:47 am

That's a pretty popular route—you should still find plenty of people to greet on the trail, even this late in the year.

And I agree with the previous posts—make a plan, tell people what it is, and stick to it. That way, if you do have a problem, we'll all know where to start looking!

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 9:51 am

It's Yosemite – the only bears are black bears. Don't take any crap from them and don't let them take any food from you.

Enjoy the freedom and the flexibility. Pick your pace, pick your rest stops, take a late morning nap if you want.

Temps are forecast to be really nice: low-high of 45-70F in the Valley, so 30-60F at elevation. So be prepared for cool nights, but the days should be ideal for hiking.

Since you'll be the only one carrying the tent, stove, etc, go as UL as you can on everything else. If in doubt, leave it out. If you're staying on the trail (a big safety advantage when on your own) and you really need something, other hikers are happy to help.

Have fun. You'll improve your skills faster on a solo trip than on a group trip.

Take notes on how you'd tweak your technique and gear for future reference.

Dena Kelley BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 10:00 am

Leave a trip plan with someone and don't succumb to the desire to do side-trips that aren't on your trip plan. The people that seem to go missing are the ones who either left no trip plan or strayed significantly from their trip plan. A peak or a valley may look really interesting but you should just mentally flag it for a future trip…unless you have a way to contact the person you left the trip plan with to advise them of your proposed new route.

+1 on taking a PLB or SPOT. For a few ounces you may find it will save your life if you end up injured or trapped. You don't have to be very far off the trail for people to not see or hear you.

Steve Davis BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 8:20 pm

thanks for the tips guys. i'll be taking my kindle and an extra phone battery to make up for lack of conversation. maybe i'll make a friend on the trail. and maybe it'll be a girl and she'll be single and cute. hahaha. a guy can dream… :P

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 9:02 pm

>"maybe it'll be a girl and she'll be single and cute. "

or a male ground squirrel with plague-infected fleas.

We're placing our bets now.

dirtbag BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I recently did my first solo, about a 15 mile or so loop in NY. Like you, everyone I knew couldnt make it and I got tired of waiting for someone to go with me. If I kept waiting, I would never get out. I had a blast. I brought along my kindle for evening and night time but I never ended up useing it. I really enjoyed myself and now that I got over the "solo" thing, I plan on going out much more often. As everyone else has said, leave an itinerary with someone and try to stick with your plans as best as possible. Have fun and get ready for the addiction!!

PostedSep 27, 2013 at 3:51 pm

In mid October I'll be in northern Nevada's Ruby Mountains hunting mule deer on a solo trip.

The extra weight of cool weather gear, scoped rifle, binoculars & butchering gear will add another 10 to 12 lbs. My fully loaded hikes will be no more than 5 1/2 miles so 42 to 45 lbs. won't make me too uncomfortable. I won't take any chances at all on this trip. I may rent a SPOT or PLRB from REI.

My wife has a map of my expected routes and return date. If I need to stay longer I'll go to my car and drive to find cell coverage to call her. Don't want a posse looking for me for no reason.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Loading...