Topic

Cuben Fiber Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Brunstein

@ariztazer

I finally found a seamstress to help me sew some DIY projects, but want to make sure I get the right materials before I jump in.

1) Qwest Outfitters offers two kinds/ styles of Cuben Fiber, .33 oz and .47 oz. Which weight is best for a tarptent?

2) The free online pattern for Henry Shire's tarptent appears to be an old style before the catenary cut. Is there a pattern available anywhere for a Squall or a Contrail – or any 1-person tarptent design with a catenary cut?

3) What would be good lightweight stays for a camp chair, similar to the Thermarest trekker? Is there an online source for carbon fiber stays? Would the BPL Titanium Alloy Ultrarods work as camp chair stays?

Thanks,

Lucky

David Brunstein

@ariztazer

Nudge

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Six Moon Designs has a pattern for a one person tarp tent with a catenary cut. Finished product with guy lines will weigh about 16 oz. It calls for lightweight webbing along the center seam. Another tarp on the web: The Black Cat
    http://www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir/frame.html

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

As far as materials go, Ron Bell goes with an even heavier weight, 0.6 (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/fabric.php). He is a very nice guy, so you might email him and ask how he got the stuff. By the way, MLD was planning on releasing a tarptent, but got too busy with everything else. I'm sure they will eventually make one, but you will probably beat them to it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools