Topic

Permanent SilNylon Repair

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
D S BPL Member
PostedSep 22, 2013 at 8:53 am

I have a tarp and a stuff sack, both of 30D silnylon. They have several holes ranging from about 1/4"-1/2" dia. What's the best way to permanently repair these? Although sewing is possible, I prefer not to. While tape may work temporarily, I'm looking for something very long term. Thanks in advance!

Jim Colten BPL Member
PostedSep 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

Very few things adhere to silnylon but you can use McNett Sil-Fix

Or (shameless plug), since you have several holes you might find it more cost effective to adapt techniques shown in this article. But that will require becoming a BPL Premium member or purchasing just that single article.

PostedSep 22, 2013 at 9:33 am

You can thin clear silicone sealer with odorless mineral spirits. Thinned sealer makes a nicer looking patch IMO. Basically use scrap sil-nylon and glue the patches in place with silicone sealer. Play with thinning a bit – you just want to get it so that it will wet out.

PostedSep 22, 2013 at 9:56 am

If you don't want to mess with thinning, you can use regular silicone caulk from your hardware store spread on the back of a sil-nylon fabric patch.

Silicone is about the only thing I know of that will stick well to silicone.

Bill D

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedSep 22, 2013 at 10:53 am

Good article Jim, I must of missed it first time round.

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedSep 22, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I've had good results with patching small holes or tears with silicone seam grip. For larger holes I sew in a patch of silny and then seam seal it.

PostedSep 22, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I'v done a few.
The way I do it is to smear a very thin coat an both the patch and the sack, let them stand foe about 20 minutes then press them together and put a weight on.
Leave alone for 48 hours
Use Sil Net,GE II or other pure silicone.

PostedSep 22, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Dean,
I use GE silicone glue for the patch, with the surfaces to be glued cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol, the glue spread and scraped thin (try popsicle sticks) on both the patch and the surface, a roller applied to the patch after application, and for good measure, sometimes clamp the patched area between two small strips of wax paper covered wood during drying. Even without the clamps, have used just the roller to bond corner and other reinforcement patches to tent flies leaving some edges unstitched with no problem. Less stitch holes on the body of the fly = less potential leakage.

Some of those flies and repairs have been in use for several years with no delamination or peeling yet. NB: That's the GE "glue", not the caulk I'm referring to. Keep the thinners on the shelf. The roller and/or clamps will help to get the excess glue out of the repair, and the alcohol on towels will clean up around the patch so long as the glue has not started to set.

It's a bit messy, but the silicone doesn't stick to your fingers for days like some of the urethanes. Still, old clothes are a must unless you want to go clothing shopping constantly (like I do – at least there is a Bean's outlet nearby).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...