Topic

Marmot Dri-Clime stretch pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Marmot Dri-Clime stretch pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

I got a pair of these several years ago.
    Apparently Marmot no longer makes them, but they do make a Dri-Clime shirt still.

My question for anyone familiar with them: Do these pants deserve a place in my backpack ?
    I currently don't have wind pants on my gear list and these are supposedly DWR treated windpants. They appear to be well made but not for heavy bushwacking.

Opinions please.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

What will you use them for?

You mention bushwacking – if for that purpose, then it better be cold or you'll sweat to death. Driclime offers a good bit of warmth.

If for in camp warmth, then you're good to go. Even then, only if you don't already have puffy pants or hiking pants and a base layer, as this combo will offer the same warmth, +/- at probably less weight and more versatility.

As for wind, you can go a lot lighter with Montbell, Montane, or other wind pants.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

A pair of light windpants definitely deserve a place in your pack if your dealing with colder weather in windy environments.
    If you plan on bushwacking in them, you should get a heavier pair and use them as your main hiking pants. I've found some cheap wind pants at thrift stores, usually marketed as running pants. Some of them are in the 7-8 ounce range with nice sturdy fabric.

edit: I just realized that these pants are 9 oz and a stretchy soft shell material. In that case it's hard to tell how tough they are.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I should have stated the expected hiking conditions.
    These are for cold windy, mostly dry conditions with light rain thrown in sometimes.
    They are two layer with an inner wicking layer that is well proven.
    Yes they are pretty light and pack small.
    The outer shell is "100% Polyester DWR Ottaman 2.2 oz/yd"
    The inner NTS layer is a sort of paper thin micro fleece wicking fabric.
    They are athletic fit with side stretch panels. They were designed as cold weather running/hiking pants and alpine approach pants.

DriClime Flex Pants

The normal hiking pants would be RailRiders Adventure pants.
    Baselayer in cold would be Icebreaker Bodyfit 200 Merino Midweight bottoms and lightweight top. Also used for sleeping gear.

These would be for places such as JMT, CDT, PCT and the Cascades where wind pants would be a good idea to have. (Although I rarely see them discussed here).
    I could skip them and use Patagonia Houdini wind pants instead at 3.2 ounces,
    or I could leave the heavy Railriders at home and just bring the nylon hiking shorts + the DriClime pants. I could not treat the DriClime pants with permethrin, unlike the Railriders.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder how Epic fabric based pants would hold up bushwacking?

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I was reading through segments of "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher yesterday
    and he raves about DriClime fabric for wind shirts.
    That shows how long the stuff has been around I guess.
    It's looking more and more like these pants should stay home unless an alpine trek is on the menu where they would serve as full time pants.
    A lighter pair of Houdini wind pants or equivalent might be better for the cascades for example, where they might spend the whole time in the pack.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

I love, love, love my driclime jacket and use it all the time, both for backpacking and around town use. My driclime pants however have almost never been worn. They are simply far too warm to use for backpacking. Great ski pants though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools