Topic

New 1 L Platy still stinks

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedSep 21, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Anyone else having issues getting rid of the plastic and chemical smell from a bladder bought this summer? I picked up a couple 1L on sale, I washed them before my vacation in July, had to put up with the smell for the trip, got back, filled one up with water and added baking soda, still smells after soaking a day or so. My 2L purchased a few years ago did not have this issue that I can recall. I have more vacation late this next week and have had to pack the 2L which is no biggie.
Duane

PS, just got my un-used one out, it does not have a bad smell like the other one.

PostedSep 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I haven't had this issue. I have had all the variants -.5, 1, 2 and 3 liters. Maybe just a defect? I would contact Platypus directly and see if they would be able to compensate a replacement.

PostedSep 22, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Is it possible that the outside smells because it was against wet clothes or something?

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedSep 22, 2013 at 6:35 pm

It's on the inside. No wet clothes on my summer vacation or any other trip. I'll see if I can return it.
Duane

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedSep 22, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Judging by the feel, they have used different plastics in various models over the years. My wife didn't like the taste on a 2L she used and it was the hose that was the problem there. I see that the newer hoses have a layered construction. I would call Cascade Designs and see what they have to say.

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedSep 23, 2013 at 5:39 am

I ordered these at the same time, no hose on them as they are the small size. I'll see if REI will exchange the smelly one, I think I got them there last Spring with the XTherm.
Duane

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...