Topic

Mountain Loop recomendations near WashingtonBaltimore

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Mountain Loop recomendations near WashingtonBaltimore

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Folks,

Looking for some help.

I can get fairly cheap flight from a local Airport to Washington/Baltimore BWI Airport and was wondering can folks recommend any decent mountain loops within 2 hours drive.

Cheers,

Stephen

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Check MidAtlanticHikes.com and see what they have in the Shenandoah area.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That's great Luke, much appreciated.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

There are no mountains within 2 hours of BWI. Not really. Make it four hours and you'll have some great hikes in PA and WVa.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Wishful thinking on my behalf Doug :-(
    Back to the drawing board for me.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

See if there are cheap flights into Lynchburg or Roanoke. Both are withing 2 hours of mountain hiking in VA. From Roanoke you can reach a trailhead for Grayson Highlands in 2 to 3 hours. Driving time depends on which TH you pick. I recommend the Mt. Rogers Trail, Grayson Highlands State Park TH will be a longer drive down some very windy roads.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Will check those out but would mean getting a connection thought Detroit or Atalanta, it would be just as quick to drive at that stage.
    I know there is a direct flight to Atlanta that's cheap so will check out what's close to their.

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

I just wanted to chime in and say that, while it's true that there might not be a ton within 2 hours, Shenandoah (which has already been recommended above) is less than 3 hours away and is a pretty easy drive from BWI, especially if you're hitting the road at a reasonable hour of the day. I live in Philadelphia, and the drive usually takes me about 4.5 hours, so hitting the road at BWI definitely shaves a good bit of that drive time off.

That being said, the DC beltway and I-66 can easily add hours to a drive if the traffic is feeling cranky, so it's probably worth trying to drive at low(er) traffic times. I have a lot of experience either driving or being a passenger in this area and I've had numerous 6-8 hour trips that would normally would be 3-4 hours.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I kind of gueesed the traffic could be bad in that neck of the woods.

I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and drive from Michigan.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Generally (barring accidents, which screw everything up), if you leave from BWI by 1 p.m. heading west, traffic won't be horrible (it'll only be bad). Except Fridays, sucks pretty much all day.

Also, you have to be aware of whether or not the Nationals/Redskins/Caps have a home game that day, and when it is, as that can affect traffic greatly from about 2-3 hours before the event. Major concerts too, though those are less regular. And weather events, since the morons around here only know how to drive in nice weather (and even then, a bit iffy), add hard rain or a touch of snow and traffic snarls ensue.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I think I will give flying in to BWI a miss so Doug :-)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools