Topic

Revisiting fishnets for baselayers.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedSep 20, 2013 at 9:48 am

Since it's almost time when i can start testing my Cioch made Nixwax Analogy Pump liner in combo with windshirt, i've been thinking about what the best baselayer might be to go under it.

I've read the below article and had some questions for those with experience

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/fishnet_base_layers.html#.UjuxhlWzKpg

In the article, the authors mention that nylon fishnet can or does have a "clammy" feeling. I don't quite understand that–i know that more densely woven nylon, especially the non tactel kinds can feel clammy, but with all that open space how can a nylon fishnet feel clammy?

I can't afford the Scandinavian made fishnets that are recommended on that article, and so will likely go for a cheap, nylon version. Besides, i'm not interested in merino wool for something like this (too fragile likely). Polypro is an option since it's lighter than nylon, and apparently more comfortable on the skin.

PostedSep 20, 2013 at 10:53 am

Ok, just picked up one of the usually expensive Brynje fishnet polypro baselayers for 24.95 on clearance at Reliable Racing. There was only two left and now one.

Hopefully it won't stink too much, and hopefully i can squeeze into a small. Still interested in nylon and the clammy issue though.

Richard May BPL Member
PostedSep 20, 2013 at 11:30 am

for the ultimate in avant-garde BPL outdoor fashion wear fishnet top with running tights :D

PostedSep 20, 2013 at 11:56 am

Oh, i'm sure it's been done before. Maybe Dave C., Ryan J., and some others?

PostedSep 20, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Justin,

You got a very good price. I think I paid 2 or 3 times that much by the time shipping was included.

I've used both the polypro Brynje and the nylon ones.

I prefer the fit and feel of the nylon but it is heavier.

The polypro starts stinking within an hour of putting it on but that could be (probably is) due to my excess ability in the sweating area.

Nylon top slides on and off easier. Polypro top kind of sticks to me as I put it on. If I was to buy the Brinje again I'd get a size larger to help with the on and off process.

I also got the knee length bottoms. Wearing them under wind pants feels great as things cool down a bit.

PostedSep 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Hi Daryl,

Thank you for the reply and for the info. Shipping was kind of expensive through Reliable Racing–9 dollars. A few questions: Where did you buy the nylon fishnet top, for how much, and did you find it clammy at all?

That sucks about the Polypro fishnet top stinking so fast. I know traditional polypro tends to stink bad and fast. I would have thought (and was hoping) that a fishnet version of the shirt would stink less since there is a lot less fiber space for the oils, bacterias, etc to get stuck between. Could be that the polypro material actually absorbs oils themselves which then goes rancid?

I'm guessing you found the nylon fishnet shirt to stink much less than the polypro?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...