I'm trying to compare two mid-weight jackets, the Mirage from Montbell and the Pyro from Crux. The Mirage is box baffled and the Pyro is sewn through, but with the optional hood the Pyro has more down of a higher quality, about 170g of EU900/US970 fill for the size M.
I've been reading Richard's threads regarding clo, loft etc. of various garments and I was interested in how he's able to extrapolate clo values for gear that he hasn't measured.
I can very roughly estimate the average loft of the Pyro if I assume a filled baffle height of 2 inches maximum (seems likely given the photos and the propensity of garment designers to use inches as their basic unit). Then the rough average baffle height is about 1.5/1.6 inches (I think).
According to Cold Thistle the Mirage in L has 3.5" of total loft at the shoulder which equates to about 1.75" single sided loft.
But these are pretty rough figures and only really tell me what I assumed before, that the Mirage is slightly warmer than the Crux, but the Crux is probably a tad lighter. Richard seems to have a much more accurate method of estimating a garment's clo value. Any comments (Richard)?

