Topic

Can’t believe an Alipinlite and ULA Catalyst isn’t in demand

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can’t believe an Alipinlite and ULA Catalyst isn’t in demand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Locale: Central Sierra Nevada's

I've had a brand new with tags on it WM Alpinlite Bag and a ULA Catalyst used once for sale in the gear swap for over a month. They are listed at ridiculous prices but I have minimal interest. I know its sorta the "off season" but the two offers I did get on the bag were so low I just couldn't let it go….

I pose this question….is the market flooded with high end gear and the demand is low or is it that the items are high priced items (in the grand scheme of things) and its not peak season?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=82002

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Your advert has only been up two days, sometimes things can take a week to sell.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I think your guess about it being the wrong season is correct. In my experience, if you want the best price on an item you have to time the sale of the item to coincide with when people need it. If right now people are looking at skis, and you're trying to sell a shoulder season sleeping bag and backpack, then you will have to price them in a way to make someone want to part with limited funds for items they probably won't use for six months. Or hang onto them and sell them in March and get the amount you want for them.

I'd keep bumping your ad, though. You never know.

DON'T try bumping any ad.
    At the best I will delete the bumps. At the worst I may delete the whole thread.

Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Try ebay.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Shawn,

I think the main problem here is the sizing of your gear. Long sleeping bags and Large/Large backpacks have an extremely small market on this site. Ask me how I know. If it were regular sizes, at those prices, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hang in there.

Ryan

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

No stephen that is advert number two…..

The other went by the way side but thanks

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Thanks Ryan….

To me 6'3" and 220 with a 34-35 inch waist seems quite normal sized ;)

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Thanks Dena…..I can't disagree with anything you wrote.

If my bag was made of cuben fiber it'd sell in 3 minutes.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I peruse ePrey all day, I collect old stoves. Prices on stoves I bought last Spring and this Summer are selling for almost 50% less. Some are nicer than what I got. :(
    Duane

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

My theory is that it's a long size, it's a great price and will sell on the "bay" or hold out for winter.

Also, there are too many people that start a new thread when their gear isn't selling, to make it look like its a new and exciting thread and so they don't have to look like they are bumping their thread. It is sad, and it buries the legit threads. I have seen people bump their ads 10x then just start a new thread, this needs more regulation……Roger

Lee Oz
    BPL Member

@leeoz

Locale: NY

Agreed with posters that say that you should give eBay a try. There is a handful of tall and lanky people in Europe.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I have seen people bump their ads 10x then just start a new thread,
    > this needs more regulation……Roger

See posting #3 in this thread.
    There's a Report button at top right. Feel free to use it.

Cheers

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I was excited when I came across your WM Alpinlite for sale and actually started to draft a response, but then realized it was a long. Good luck.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

So bumping ads is not ok? When I'm selling something I usually bump it every other day to keep it from getting buried under everything else that already sold. It's just like refreshing a craigslist ad.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Since it's a long size your market is smaller. However because there is limited supply of products for tall people once the right person finds it they will probably be willing to pay a premium for it. I recently sold a 6'6 Apache for $350 but it took a few weeks (and I live in Australia with a much smaller market to boot).

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Both of those items lack innovation, they are dated.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"Both of those items lack innovation, they are dated."

That may be why they haven't sold quickly, but those are both still things that people buy. Just gotta wait for the right person to see it.

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

I have so many things I'd like to write but in my older age I've learned the hard way about restraint and dealing with egos.

I'll follow my grandmothers advice…since I have nothing nice to say at the moment….

To those of you who offered advice…thank you and I do appreciate it.

Dave T

@davet

1. If I didn't already have a long Alpinlite, I'd buy that bag in a second. It's the best piece of gear I own.

2. Since when is bumping ads not okay? I agree it should not happen every day, and should perhaps come with new info, more pics, or price reducation, but it sure seems fine with me. Of all the things need attending to on BPL, deleting bumped threads is what gets a response? Hmmmm.m

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I have never seen anyone get their hand smacked for the occasional bump. And I don't blame them for bumping. When I'm looking at gearswap, I look at the most recent 2 pages max. I'm not going to sift through 50 pages of ads to see if someone still has something from 2 months ago, I assume if they are still actively trying to sell it they'll have a current ad. And I don't place WTB ads because predators look for those and then try to scam you.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> 2. Since when is bumping ads not okay?
    We have always tried to delete all 'bump' postings. They are 'not approved'.

> should perhaps come with new info, more pics, or price reducation,
    Well, a price reduction is always acceptable.
    The others … hum.

Thems the rules 'round here.
    Cheers

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Try Gear Trade if you don't want to use eBay.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Oh man I nearly bought the bag but I'm not sure how the Minister for Love War and Finance would react to me getting 'another' bag…….what do you need that for? What's wrong with the other one? Roll eyes etc etc lol

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

i wanted to thank everyone that helped me sell the bag and pack….they were discounted pretty heavy but i was in a situation…..thanks again i really do appreciate it

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I am glad they sold Shawn :-)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools