Topic

Interesting water purification technology

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Steven Paris BPL Member
PostedSep 19, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I saw this article today about a Beaverton company doing some interesting things with water purification. The article is primarily about the "Lily Pad" a floating low-energy purifier for clean drinking water.

http://portlandtribune.com/sl/194952-solar-tea-bag-takes-%20garbage-out-of-water

One product that looks like it has potential is the Solarbag:

http://www.puralytics.com/html/solarBagRetail.php

Now, I realize that this isn't applicable for most of us here because of use-time and product weight. I'm merely pointing out some new tech that might someday trickle down into a useful UL product, so please don't post anything about how you personally would never carry this product.

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedSep 19, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Actually, their brochure says that the weight of the bag alone (no water) is only 4oz, so it may have its application in UL, depending on what folks are doing…

At 4oz for a 3L capacity, it could always double as a general extra water carrier, even when you don't have time to let it sit in the sun long enough for purification (and you would use an alternate method to purify what you need).

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting, indeed.

Rex Sanders BPL Member
PostedSep 19, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Buy a bag through this link on their web site, they give one to a family in Malawi:

http://puralytics.com/html/projectsGSMMalawi.php

My favorite 2+ liter Platypus bottle weighs 1.3 oz. The Puralytics SolarBag weighs 4 oz, and I could leave the Platy home. That’s a net 2.7 oz for chemical-free, battery-free water purification, and it zaps chemicals and heavy metals, too.

But the SolarBag is about the slowest way to purify water I know of.

Interesting trade-offs. I’ll stick to chlorine dioxide for backpacking. Might be a good solution for whitewater rafting.

— Rex

PostedSep 20, 2013 at 12:25 am

Pretty interesting tech! I like that it combines the purifer and bag, and works for viruses, metals and chemicals, and is passive. Don't like how long it takes, and that it only works in sunlight. Still, very cool for the intended purpose.

PostedSep 20, 2013 at 9:05 am

It does seem pretty interesting. Definite time constraints, but i suppose you could attach it to the outside of your pack to help with that issue if you wanted to use it for backpacking.

I searched in vain though, for any info how long one bag lasts for. That's a pretty big issue/question imo if you're paying 80 dollars for a disposable item.

PostedSep 20, 2013 at 9:15 am

"Don't like how long it takes, and that it only works in sunlight."

Their site says both sunny and cloudy days, just takes a lot longer on cloudy days (basically all day).

PostedSep 20, 2013 at 9:17 am

"I searched in vain though, for any info how long one bag lasts for."

Per their site: Treats up to 9 liters of water per day. Reusable hundreds of times.

PostedSep 20, 2013 at 9:23 am

Thanks Doug, i saw the treats up to 9 liters a day, but missed the "hundreds of times". For typical backcountry use then should last awhile, but not if you're a family living with poor water supply and using it everyday.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...