Topic

Cheap military ski bindings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Cheap military ski bindings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Doug L
    BPL Member

@mothermenke

Locale: Upstate NY

Just found a military surplus website with some interesting cheap ski bindings for use with regular winter footwear/welted mountaineering boots.

One looks to be like the universal bindings found on the old Karhu Meta/Sweeper skis,
    definitely looks heavier than the x-trace bindings found on Altai Hoks:

http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1331

They also have Ramer Universal AT bindings that work with any mountaineering boot that has a front welt:

http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48&products_id=1449

They have some other bindings as well, they all look heavy, but they are all pretty cheap for experimenting with hacks/DIY skishoes.

edit: the Ramers actually look like they might have a different toe attachment than the standard front bar in the Ramer "universal".

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

There are Ramers out there with a cramponesque front bail that almost but definitely do not fit my scarpa invernos or la sportiva Nepals. The bail is too high and narrow. Beware.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Depends on your boot type and the kind of skiing you want to do. AT bindings are all the rage now but are not good on a long XC tour. Cable bindings compatable with say, Scarpa 2 boots are a good compromise. Try to avoid 3 pin bindings. They are a PITA.

Converting military snow gear to civilian bindings is usually a good idea.
    I once converted a pair of military 'shoe bindings (aluminum I-beam frames snowshoes) with a pair of LL Bean snowshoe bindings. They were far easier to use and much more stable.
    I later sold the pair to a hunter and got some Atlas 'shoes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools