My problem with the cool side of the fall and spring months has always been layering on the bottom half. The top half is easy because as long as it is not raining I can go out and in on the layers without much difficulty. Trying to get the lower half of layering over size 15EEs is a bit much though. If I am wearing trail pants, when I stop I get cold and fleece pants won't fit over them and the synthetic insulated pants are just so heavy and bulky. And it has to be pretty cool out to start in fleece sweat pants. Maybe this, wear the Ex Officio Boxers when it is hot and fleece sweat pants when it is not to start. Layer up to some full zip rain pants or rain skirt if it drops or I stop? Just trying to think of a easy off/on layering system for the lower half. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Topic
Easy off/on layer ing fo rthe lower half?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
I carry windpants(Montane) that have zips long enough to allow pulling em on over shoes.
It's amazing how much warmth you can get by pulling windpants over hiking pants.
Windpants are light and have many other uses as well.
I also carry a sit pad so that I can sit on cold and/or wet rocks for breaks.
There are pants that are designed for skiing that have lower zips to accommodate ski boots. I don't know if any are UL though.
200 weight fleece under waterproof or wind pants would be good for cold and wet conditions.
OtterLegs:
http://www.ottertrek.com/Products.html
Polypro leggings (light, warm for weight, and water resistant/fast drying)? Like these: http://www.amazon.com/Pace-PolyPro-Cycling-Warmer-Medium/dp/B001AX6T74/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1379597346&sr=1-1&keywords=Pace+P3%2B+PolyPro+Cycling+Leg+Warmer
Plus rain kilt that one can easily put on over the outside.
I've always found long johns and shorts to be a good starting point, then windpants over if it cools off. You'll want side zips (at least partial) to get over those 15EEE's. Depending on the weather you can vary the weight of the long johns, although personally I find that just lightweight longs and windpants are good for me down into the 20's on the move, except for when it is really cold and wet – 40 degree rain calls for the expedition weight bottoms with wind pants over.
Another way to go, if you like zipoff hiking pants, is to wear long johns under them. The its' just a matter of zipping on and off the lower legs for adjustment. I have some REI Sahara zipoffs that I use for work which have lower legs that separate so you can get them off without removing shoes, or even snowshoes or skis.
Also see the recent article here on tights.
get full zip rain pants … and put them on top when you get cold
;)
Become a member to post in the forums.

