Topic

Trekking pole tripod solution – Trailpix – Kickstarter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Trekking pole tripod solution – Trailpix – Kickstarter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Hi folks!
    Some of you might have seen the "PolePod" Kickstarter from earlier this year. That project was not funded.
    The silver lining is that Andy (designer) has spent the rest of the year refining and improving his design, and has an awesome new design ready to go:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312251870/trailpix-ultralight-tripod

I expressed interest in his earlier attempt, and was able to beta test his new designs this summer. It's really a unique solution that no other product pulls off. I'm excited to see this niche finally filled!

You can get either a universal piece with 3 screws that fits any combination of poles and sticks (my preference) or a lighter friction-tip model with a 3rd ultralight collapsing pole… check it out!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Two problems that I see:
    1. It is not very light in weight. I'm not sure why it is called ultralight.
    2. All good tripods have a weight support rating. This one does not.

–B.G.–

Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

1) It's all about your personal objectives. If you're happy with the sum advantage of a mini plastic tripod/gorillapod that's fine–it'll be way lighter. But if you could use the advantages of a "full" size tripod, then there's nothing out there as light (if you're already carrying poles). In that sense, I'm happy to call it ultralight (at the very least, "minimalist").

2) That's a bit difficult to do when it would vary for each different brand and model of pole you're using…. And if you watch the video, he (and one of his other testers) is able to get some hefty full-size DSLR setups operational… no question though that you wouldn't want to push it that far if you can avoid it. And from what I can tell with the prototype I've been playing with, the aluminum base itself is pretty bombproof – it's going to come down the ballhead strength and how well you stabilize your poles.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

1. I wouldn't have a mini plastic gorillapod on a bet.

2. If it is difficult to set a load rating, then so be it. It is only good tripods that have a load rating.

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

looks good to me for the intended use.
    Obviously not for the pro or keen photographer (well obvious to me…) but for the average trekking pole user a waist level tripod option for 2-6oz depending on the kit is not a bad solution.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Wow this is a monster improvement over his first design. Thanks for posting.

Linda Vassallo

@eastbayhiker

Locale: Eastbay

I watched the video demonstrating this tripod today and must admit I'm impressed with the concept. It's innovative and certainly fits into the dual usage of equipment. It is geared for hikers/backpackers who want a tripod without adding a lot of bulk or weight to their packs and who desire something taller than the desktop models. Yes, professional photographers will use there beefier, heavier tripods…but I think this could be the answer for nonprofessionals who do not have, or want, the heavier versions.

When hiking with friends I have fashioned a tripod utilizing three trekking poles, then wrapping my Joby with camera attached to the "tripod". I'm thinking the TraiPix may be more stable than what I was doing.

According to the website the first four models offered have weights that vary from 0.9 oz up to 6.4 oz, depending on style and accessories attached.

It will be interesting to follow reports from hikers who use this and see if it is stable (emphasis here) with larger cameras attached, easy to use, and if users are happy with its performance.
    LV

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

Is the performance of this system much better than a 9 ounce Zipshot ?

I can set up the Zipshot in about 15 seconds including attaching the camera with the quick release plate, including taking the Zipshot and camera out of the camera bag. My penalty for this speed is about 3 ounces of additional weight over the trekking pole solution. I would need to add a 1 or 2 litre filled water bottle pendulum to add stability in any significant winds, so add another 10 seconds to clip it on. Lets call it 30 seconds setup time. Limitations : smaller 1-2 pound cameras only, photos taken from sitting or kneeling position only, unless you have the swivel screen on your camera.

What is the setup time including finding the third pole, digging it out of the pack, mounting the head and third pole to the trekking poles, and mounting the camera to the tripod ?

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I have the larger zipshot. Pretty nice for the price pt.

On knock on it is adjusting the height. This can be done by folding out a section of each of the legs but it is only stepped adjustment, maybe ~10" adjustment steps. As you say it is pretty quick to set up.

If I bought into this kickstarter bit, I'd probably make another a third adjustable pole using concepts from my myog trekking pole thread:

MYOG flicklock poles

the third pole should come in just under 4oz for ~$30

Andy Stough

@ajstough

Hi Bob,

Disclaimer: I am the developer of the TrailPix. My intent here is to add to the conversation that is occuring and answer your question in the best way I know how to.

I've just added a FAQ for this very question, here is how it reads:

What is the load limit of TrailPix?

The short answer is that I think anything more than a 4 lb. camera is pushing it, mostly due to the ballhead, and then for something in portrait. But, for completeness, here is some more information:

I figured a way to add weight directly to the center of the ballhead, and here are some approximate weight limits:

1) Universal made with (3) trekking poles: 30+ lbs (Probably significantly higher)

2) Universal made with (2) trekking poles and accessory pole: Approx 10-20 lbs. (limited by flex in the accessory pole)

3) Custom made with (2) trekking poles and accessory pole: Approx 20 lbs. (limited by flex in the accessory pole.)

Since these weights are for load directly over the ballhead, they aren't terribly meaningful, but they are probably equivalent to what you might see spec'ed out for other tripods.

Andy Stough

@ajstough

Disclaimer: I am the developer of the TrailPix. My intent here is to add to the conversation that is occuring and answer your question in the best way I know how to.

Thanks for the feedback and vote of support.

Just to clarify, the tripod is about 4 feet tall when made with the accessory pole and higher if you have three trekking poles to work with (on the universal design.)

Linda Vassallo

@eastbayhiker

Locale: Eastbay

Andy, thank your for the clarifications in your two posts-very helpful. And thank you for your product.
    -Linda

Steve Davis
    BPL Member

@stevendavisphoto

Locale: SF Bay Area

definitely getting one.

Bill Wang
    BPL Member

@billwang

Locale: SF Bay Area

I would like a triple custom – so I don't have to use the accessory pole and use three GG LT4's (which I assume are the same as Leki).

Peter James
    BPL Member

@pbjames

Locale: High Sierra

Anyone received these yet? Their website is showing a march ship date if ordered now.

Looks like a great product, just looking for feedback from real-world use.

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

This looks very interesting to me. Are they currently available for order or are they still trying to get sufficient commitments?

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

I found the website and they are available for purchase and will ship by end of March

Matt Murray
    Spectator

@mhmurray

I "pre-ordered" one from the website last month. No response to my email asking for shipping updates yet. Website does say shipping end of March, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I'll report back on this as needed.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

Looks like the first shipment has gone out for kickstarter backers based on the title of the latest update there

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

FYI it would appear that the website pre-orders are about to ship out based on the email i got today

Matt Murray
    Spectator

@mhmurray

I got my a few weeks ago, as promised. The Trail Pix itself is very nice. Light and looks well made. I got the custom version, it's 31g including the 1/4-20 screw to mount a ball head. I got the ball head offered by Trail Pix, weighs in at 51g, and I also got a SquareJellyfish micro ball head which is much lighter at 9g, although i am concerned about durability on the all plastic piece. I'm going to be using it with my iPhone so it shouldn't be too stressed, and at 9g, I could carry a spare…

http://www.squarejellyfish.com/micro-ball-head.html

I've tried it out on the trail and it works as advertised. Only issue is the setup time. Seems like the the ZipShot would be much quicker to deploy. So ZipShot 11oz, vs Trail-Pix 4.6-6oz

It's probably about as stable as the ZipShot, you'll still want to use a remote shutter, I use the headphone up volume button on my iPhone.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

Was playing around with mine inside tonight and found that the ruta locura soled carbon fiber tent stakes work fairly well with it to turn it into a mini tripod.

Only catch was I could no let go of the camera while in a portrait orientation as it would topple to the side from the weight of the camera and the small base that the tent stakes make

Peter James
    BPL Member

@pbjames

Locale: High Sierra

Should have one next week. Got the universal version for use with Black Diamond Z-Poles, and I'm excited to see what it can do for my Fuji X-E1 system.

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

Got to use the Custom the other night for the first time. I dig it do far.

Some of the other folks who hiked up with their tripods were a little jealous.Trail

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm in the market for a backpacking tripod and have narrowed the selection down to a few choices, trail pix being one of them.

I noticed that they are out of stock until August but they are now selling the universal kit for $40.

Jeremy,

What are your thoughts on this system? How fast can you set it up?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools