Topic

light tent for 63 year old female backpacker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) light tent for 63 year old female backpacker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Polly Strahan
    Spectator

@pollystrahan

Locale: mostly Cal & Oregon

Mary, Thanks! I will follow your advice re trying out tents in the living room. "Go Girl"female urinal was a disaster for me as I couldn't get a tight seal. Usually I am fine without extra equipment if I can get up and into position fast enough. I am going to take pads on my next trip, which will also help with keeping my underwear clean for longer.
    By the way, I was on Mt. Shasta this past week, where they ask you to bundle up your solid waste and pack it out. They have a nifty system with a rectangular paper target that you poop on and then fold up and put into a bag. Great for those who can defecate without peeing as the pee weakens the paper and it rips! As soon as I get into my semi-squat, the pee comes too!. Eventually I found the best system was forgoing the target, pooping on the ground and picking it up with my hand in the plastic bag. Oh, yes, true "doggy style!"
    Happy hiking into old, old, old age, Polly

Polly Strahan
    Spectator

@pollystrahan

Locale: mostly Cal & Oregon

Oh, Oh! I though I was sending a personal message to Mary only. Sorry if any of the above is offensive! Polly

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I think I just peed myself reading that one!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Me too!

Those of us of a certain age can all relate Polly!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

There used to be a book called, How to Shit in the Woods.

With the flood of aging boomers perhaps there would be a market for another book:

Perhaps some one should write, How Old Farts Shit in the Woods…

:)

Bill D.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you want Polly, you can edit your post and erase any parts. Just go to the post while signed in and click on the little pencil looking icon on bottom left. Personally I wasn't offended in the least.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Who needs chaff?

FWIW I might have similar issues on Mt. Shasta.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Polly,
    Pole supported shelters offer more room for the same weight or similar space for less weight but there are a few things to consider.
    First you need to have a bit of flair for setting up tents.
    People that can will rave about them, people that can't (but often are not aware of that…) will post negative reviews…
    Next, leaving a tent there without poles inside is a sure sign that you are not about and if it rains you will get the inside wet with most fabrics.
    (a bit like touching a canvas tent in the old days…)
    Anyway, if you do like the idea of a pole supported tent (I do) then you could take a look at the Tarptent Notch.
    Sets up dry and almost as easy as the Moment and with a comparatively small footprint.
    A lot of pole supported tents have several and very long guylines, the Notch does not need them.
    Also note the low entry point of some of those shelters,
    my Notch :
    Notch on snow
    Breakfast in the rain
    I removed the inner to spread myself and have breakfast in the rain under cover…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

If you have an outer pitch first tent in the morning you can pack away your inner nice and dry, and dig a hole and do your business in privacy (once your not on an established site) cover up the hole and take down your tent.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools