Topic

Central Oregon backpacking ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Central Oregon backpacking ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

My boyfriend and I were supposed to go backpacking in the northwest corner of Mt. Rainier NP this week-end. However, the weather is looking pretty sucky. I want to have a back-up plan, and based on the weather reports, Central Oregon near the Sisters area is looking pretty likely–30% chance rain on Saturday, otherwise not too shabby. I have until Tuesday off, and it will take us about 6 hours of driving, so it looks to me like roll out of town and get to the Sisters area, maybe camp at a trailhead on Saturday night, Sunday head out, stay out Sunday night and Monday night, then hike out/drive back Tuesday.

I have very little planning resources for that area, as I've just backpacked in Washington. Any suggestions? We're not in condition for more than about 10 miles a day with about 1,000 ft elevation gain. Thanks!

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

I don't know where you are coming from, but the Wallowas are another option. They tend to be dry and are quite spectacular.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The Strawberry Mountain Wilderness just south of John Day is another possibility. Be sure to allow time in your travels to/from to visit the John Day/Fossil Beds National Monument, especially the Painted Hills! Another possibility is the Elkhorn Range just across the Powder River Valley/I-84 from the Wallowas. The Ochocos and Blues aren't as spectacular but have some wilderness areas with pretty hiking (Mill Creek, Canyon Creek, N Fork John Day, Wenaha-Tucannon, the last mostly in SE Washington). Or Steens Mountain. The later in September you go, the more apt you are to run into snow issues at higher altitudes. Last year (I believe) they closed the Steens Mountain loop in late September and had to haul out some snowed-in vehicles. That's unusually early, but it does happen. Steens may be in the desert, but the summit is almost as high as Mt. Hood. It's probably too far for what you've planned, anyway.

Check conditions first with the local ranger districts. (For Steens Mt., the BLM office in Burns.) Also the weather. It's supposed to rain in Oregon, this weekend, too!

There have been plenty of severe thunderstorms/flash floods in Central and Eastern Oregon this year. All over, in fact–this seems to be the year for them! In the Wallowas in September, if it storms it will probably snow (it will melt off), and clear nights will be below freezing. It can be beautiful, though, and the crowds are gone.

Also, keep an eye out for hunting seasons. In some places, special permit seasons start in mid-September. A blaze orange vest that covers your pack might not be a bad idea. General deer season starts in early October and is best avoided altogether.

You might want to check Portlandhikers.org (both forum and field guide) for info on the Three Sisters Wilderness.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I just did a trip in the Three Sisters, very nice.

If you look at weather map http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi

The edge of the green (rain) is right at about Sisters

Stay on the East side of the Cascades and you're better.

Unfortunately, the Wallowas, Elkhorns, and Strawberry have enough elevation they can get rain too.

I hiked around Broken Top which was pretty nice, except there's a 2 mile stretch with no trail, but it's pretty easy. Look at trop reports on portlandhikers.org. That's a little further East so maybe drier.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools