Topic

Durability of Salomon trail runners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Durability of Salomon trail runners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Do all of Salomon's trail runners have a problem with durability? I really liked hiking in my XA 3D ultra 2 blah blah over the past three years (new pair each season) but they were not at all up to the task of the JMT.

Both my shoes and those of my companion were literally shot after 18 days. I mean trash. The soles were separating from the uppers, all the cushion was trashed (yes, it's blasphemy, but I really like some cushion under my bony feet)…and this was the only real trip they were on. Yes, they went on a few long weekend hikes beforehand, but no more than 100 or so miles.

I generally like the fit and the feel of Salomon, and I do like not tying my shoes, but oh my I am not willing to go through like a dozen pair to get through the pct next year. Which means now I need to look for a new shoe (sniff, sniff) and I wonder if all Salomons need to be off the table now.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

they say that

Thank you for buying this SALOMON product. They are built to last.

so contact em an ask for their opinion … 18 days doesnt seem that long, or 100 miles

a lot of manufacturers CLAIM that their products are "built to last" … ask them to back it up

of course youll have to deal with the SHAME of being a BPL SCAMMER …

and a granola eating lefty yuppie

not to mention an OBAMA voter

;)

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I think Salomons are awesome for race-day shoes, but on long distances, only a small handful of their models hold up. Even the super-expensive Gore-Tex 4D boots I had were quick to tear and crack on points where they fold every step, and my buddy thru-hiked the Long Trail (~30 days of hiking) and wore right through to his socks in a pair of Speedcrosses. The Wings models are supposedly pretty burly, however, and a friend who did the same Long Trail hike in XT Wings is still wearing his.

So, I don't trust Salomon for the long run. The company I bought my boots from replaced them, so I have no experience with Salomon's return policy.

In my experience, Inov-8 shoes last 2x as long.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

My first pair did ok, but I didn't do too much in them that season. Last year I bought a new pair right before an 8-day Winds trip and they certainly took a beating – and I ended up tossing them a few trips later (I assumed it was too much limestone and sandstone here in the Midwest). Now this, the quick trashing of my third pair, basically says I need to stop buying these shoes.

David Ure

@familyguy

I have the mid cut GTX Salomon Conquest (my version had a different name). 3 years and at least 800 miles on them as I wear them as an everyday shoe in the winter and they have been very durable. Not one issue. Admittedly, these are not the runners but I definitely like the product.

ROB WHELAN

@threepoint

I have two pairs of XA Ultras and was initially thrilled. Grip was awesome and they were hands down the most comfortable shoes I've worn.

But…..

They have not held up well durability wise at all. The soles have worn down much faster than I would have expected given the relatively tame surfaces they've had to deal with. They have also worn in the lining around the heels.

With better camping and hiking weather on the way here in Oz I am looking for something different this time round.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Shoes are a very personal choice but if they agree with your feet, try the La Sportiva Wildcats. I can't really say how many miles were on my last pair as I wear them every day and for backpacking but since they saw a lot of use on/off the trail, I felt four months was ok. I spoke with a lady who through hiked the CDT; she claimed that she was getting 500+ miles out of her Wildcats.

My last pair were at the the end of their useful life when I ripped them in the Enchantments. I only tore the outside layer so they were fine to get me back to the trailhead. Had I not torn them, they would have been ok for another couple months around town but not on the trail; They were starting to squash down on the outside due to my pronation but the tread was fine. I'm going to continue to use the Wildcats for 90% of my hiking and I plan on ordering a pair of Inov8s which will hopefully hold up in the rockier stuff.

Yes nothing I said here has anything to do with Salomons so sue me.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I have gone through no fewer than five pairs of XA 3d ultras over the last three years. I would give them about the same durability as LaSportiva wildcats, brooks Cascadias and other Salomon products. ( I have gone through a total of 13 pairs of trail runners.) Average life on all has been about 500-600 miles regardless of brand. I used 5 pairs of shoes on the PCT, 4 wildcats and 1 XA 3d ultra to replace a pair of wildcats that didn't make it to my resupply point. The one pair of Salomon's did wear holes in the uppers just behind the toes. It was amazing, nearly every pct hiker also had wear in the same area. So bottom line, I found these shoes no better or worse than others. I LOVE the lacing system but you can retrofit other shoes with these laces if that is the major draw.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

That's ok Ian. It actually helps…as Greg says, perhaps they are just no worse than any other brand.

I suppose I just need to alter my mindset a bit perhaps…I swap out my street runners all the time, why should I expect something different when it comes to trail shoes?

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Locale: Central Sierra Nevada's

I took these out for 100 miles and they held up great. I really liked the lugs for grip on the way up and down.

My only complaint, when wet, the insoles didn't stay put too well….

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Maybe it's changed over the years, but my 2007 XA 3D (before they added a bunch of adjectives) shoes made it over 300 miles on the High Sierra Trail and John Muir Trail just fine.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

I bought the new Speedcross 3's as well and like them a lot so far. As far as durability goes, they seem like will hold up longer than most of the New Balances shoes I've had. They're extremely comfortable for me too.

The negatives = I too find the insoles slip when wet (walking downhill). They also tend to retain much more stink than my previous trail runners. Perhaps because the base of the shoes aren't comprised of a quick drying mesh?

Anonymous

I've gone through two pairs of Salomon XR Missions. Both pairs had a 1"+ rip along the front seam of the shoe. First time it happened at around 200 miles. I gave Salomon's customer service a call (from awols book, not the main number) & had a new pair to me within a week. The new pair also started to rip after about 200 miles. At ~250 the seam rip was well beyond one inch.

Overall Salomons just won't cut it for me. The front seam durability is a real issue. With all of their trail runners following a similar sewing pattern, I doubt any will hold up beyond 300miles. I also really dislike the ortholite insoles on all of their shoe's/boots. The insoles feel like they wear out after 100-150 miles.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

folks …

putting seam grip on all the stitching and where the rubber joins the leather will significantly prolong the life of many shoes, especially lighter trail runners

also the moment you see a wear spot seam grip it, before it becomes a hole

and use freesole/shoe goo, the moment theres any cracking in the sole

im quite surprised that more people dont do this

;)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

good idea eric

so, is there any difference between shoo goo and seam grip?

they're both polyurethane

maybe shoe goo is thicker and cheaper?

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I have used Freesole for years with good results:
    reattach seams on leather boots where old stitching rotted out..
    patch worn mesh on hiking shoes..
    repair soles on shoes & boots..
    make toe caps
    backpack repairs…
    attach Velcro (Velcro that doesn't come with sticky back)
    etc…

urethane is tough stuff.. !

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Jerry,
    I believe Freesole is urethane; not polyurethane.

I have heard from others that Freesole is much tougher than Shoe Goo

Bill D

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

jerry …

interesting you asked that … ive used the shoo goo tube by mistake where i meant to use seam grip … i didnt notice much of a difference actually, maybe there is, but for the purposes of shoes its not something that stood ot

now barge cement that i use for climbing shoes is a bit different, softer and stickier even when dry

;)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools