Topic

Tent site clearing/cleaning technique?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Tent site clearing/cleaning technique?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I don't do a good job of clearing and cleaning under my tent footprint. I try, but always find small rocks (with my back!) after I've pitched. Any techiniques to help clear the tent site?

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Hammock.

Seriously though, I lay out my groundsheet then kick off my shoes. A quick stroll around the ol' Tyvek usually finds everything. After that, it's nothing my exped can't handle.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

With our neo-airs, it just isn't a problem. Of course, there are two of us, so twice as many eyes to see little stones etc.

But a couple of times, in the morning, after we've deflated our mattresses, we've been surprised to see rocks that we thought would have disturbed our sleep–but didn't.

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

I usually only move things that might puncture my self inflater or neo. Never had a problem.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Lay down in the spot before you set up the tent. You really don't want to clear the spot cause you want it to look the same when you leave. Pick out rocks sticks etc or find another spot

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use my telescoping titanium rake to clear the area and then create a Zen meditation garden pattern in the soil outside my tent door

.Telescoping rake

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

yep.. put ground cloth down.. roll around a little bit and find the pointy stuff. This is also a good time to figure out how flat it is and can orient the tent so your head is uphill if it's not perfect.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

I would seriously consider carrying a titanium rake! Last camp trip I got myself absolutely filthy with fine red dust, searching for pea-sized pebbles that were jabbing me through the tent floor.

Seriously, I'd not thought to remove my boots and walk the groundcloth in socks. That's the new routine for me. Thanks.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

At night you could hold your headlamp low and to the side. The bumps and rocks would throw long shadows.

If you use 1.9oz ripstop for a ground cloth, gather the ends and hang it from a couple trees, you won't have such issues ;)

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Not always possible but you can also find a spot that is covered with soft material like fallen leaves or soft soil. The smaller your footprint the easier it is to find a cozy spot.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

> find a spot that is covered with soft material like fallen leaves or soft soil.

True that. My problem is, I do mostly desert-type camping in So Cal and AZ. Imagine camping on Mars–that's what it's like. Preening the tent site is a long and tedious process.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

"I do mostly desert-type camping in So Cal and AZ. Imagine camping on Mars"

Ah, that does change things a bit. I'd say you need a more appropriate padding system for your environment. Maybe an additional, very thin ccf pad under what you are already using? You could experiment with an über-cheap yoga mat and if it works upgrade to something light.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools