Topic

Removed 3D mesh on my 2010 golite jam

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Jason Schafer BPL Member
PostedSep 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm

This pack is my experimental pack (various snips) and also my go-to 3 season pack. It's a bombproof pack that I got at a killer price 30-40 bucks.

1. You'll notice I cut off the hipbelt. I did this a while back and plan to sew a minimal 3/4 inch webbing waist belt on. I tried without a belt for a few trips and find myself in scrambling situations where I would like the pack to stay put.

2. I cut the side compression strap off the pack like mike clelland recommended in his book "ultralight backpacking tips". I missed the wrap around feature of the straps so I sewed them back on.

3. I finally got the nerve to removed the 3D mesh on the back. I use a ccf pad rolled like a burrito in the pack for structure and padding. The 3D mesh collected dirt and twigs, retained moisture, and is abrasive on my wool baselayers..so it had to go. I took a seam ripper to most of it and left the grey panels. I plan to patch the hole with some inexpensive black oxford nylon. The pack feels much nicer with the mesh removed. I'm not really sure why they ever added it?

I'll post a pic when its finished.jam

PostedSep 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Interesting. How much does it weigh now? Do you miss the mesh back?

I've been doing the reverse with mine (adding weight). I cut off the excess length of straps of course, and the hydration sleeve and replaced the drawcord with gutted GloWire. But I added a two piece section of Z-Lite Sol in the framesheet sleeve along with the stock sheet (very stiff on my version). I put the Z-lite behind the mesh section to increase void space and airflow as I get massive swamp back.

Mine still weighs in at 1 lbs 14.4 oz all said and done.

Jason Schafer BPL Member
PostedSep 15, 2013 at 9:31 pm

It weighs 1 lb 3 oz. without 3D mesh or hipbelt. The mesh only weighed 2 oz. but it was the feeing of the mesh I didn't like. I sometimes miss the hipbelt, but the freedom of movement for my hips is nice.

I like your zlite addition. When I add the oxford nylon, I'll still have the pad pocket. I've thought about putting a klymit airbeam for rigidity, padding and backcooling.

I just think a fabric backpanel will be more comfortable than the 3D Mesh. The back is gonna get sweaty, its just I think that back panel absorbs and holds the moisture where a moisture repellent fabric will just have it evaporate off.

Jason Schafer BPL Member
PostedNov 7, 2013 at 9:18 am

So I finally was able to convince my wife to sew on a piece of black oxford nylon in the place where I had cut out the 3D mesh on the back of my 2010 golite jam. The task was very tricky but my wife is an excellent seamstress. Someday I hope to acquire such skill. I have other golite packs I was thinking of doing this to as well but it wasn't as easy to sew the fabric in and flip the pack inside out for clean seams. I decided to keep the mesh on my other golite packs. As you can see at the top near the shoulder straps there is a gap. I still need to finish that off, possibly hand sew.nylon back

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...