Am planning a 1 day R2R2R hike for early May 2014. I know that the water may not be turned on at some of the upper locations, I'll have a water filter, so I'm not worried at all. My question, are there any natural stream or creek sources on the North Kaibab trail above the pumphouse? I know that Roaring Springs is there, but that's just past the pumphouse. Can't tell from the maps if the trail is close enough to any natural water sources to pump water from in this 5 mile stretch up to the north rim or not. I know there is the Redwall Bridge that crosses a creek, but from pictures, it looks like you may not be able to get down to the creek at that spot? I also know that there is year-round water at the North Rim Backcountry office if I'm desperate, which would add on an extra mile to the hike.
Second question, I know that the Hiker's Express shuttle will be running at 5 am starting in May. If I use this 5am shuttle to the South Kaibab trailhead, this puts me on the trail head about 530'sh, right at sunrise. I'm staying at Maswik Lodge, so the alternative would be to hike down the Bright Angel trail, which adds 2 1/2 miles to the round trip, but I could leave much earlier, say 3. I'm planning for 14-18 hours for a one day crossing. I've heard that starting at sunrise going down South Kaibab gives you the vest views of the canyon as daylight breaks, but also extends the trip to well after dark. Any thoughts, on descending South Kaibab versus Bright Angel? I'm coming up Bright Angel for sure.

