Topic

Made some Cordura Gaiters…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Jesse D. BPL Member
PostedSep 12, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Well I'm one of those that has been converted into the life of wearing gaiters whenever doing any hiking/backpacking/hunting. I've been using some of the now discontinued REI Desert Gaiters and really liked the simplicity of them, but they began to fall apart after a year of use. I've been playing around with some hunting pack/vest gear and have a ton of Coyote Brown fabric/hardware on hand so I decided to make a little beefier set for my next outing. For this pair I used some of the 500 denier coated Cordura. I essentially replicated the REI gaiters, in that I used a velcro front closure, and a simple instep strap. I used some 1/8" shock cord, and will be adding some tough electrical heat shrink tubing over the shock cord after a trip to the auto parts store. If I find that the coated shock cord doesn't hold up well enough I'll go back to some paracord with heat shrink over it, like I was using on my REI setup. A trip to the local "Tandy Leather" provided me with the boot lace hooks, and the grommets, rivets, and necessary tools. I'm happy with my first attempt, and plan on ordering some of the Spandura type stretchy Cordura for a minimalist type pair that I might opt to simplify by making them slip on rather than velcro.



Valerie E BPL Member
PostedSep 14, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Super sweet gaiters! I've been thinking about making some myself because I really want Dirty Girl-type gaiters, only I want them to be WATERPROOF/H2O Resistant (which Dirty Girl doesn't do…).

But you did a terrific job on yours, and you should be very proud!

PostedSep 14, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Nice work. I like the pull loop at the top. What type of needle and thread did you use for the stitching?

Light slip on gaiters are nice too but you have to remember to put them on before your shoes. I know, a simple concept but sometimes forgotten until after I have my shoes on early in the morning…arrgggg.

Jesse D. BPL Member
PostedSep 16, 2013 at 10:05 am

I stitched these up on my budget "Brother 3125" machine using Coats and Clark Dual XP Poly thread. I've been using the Brother for about two years now and for $89, it's a great little machine. It'll handle 2-3 layers of medium weight fabric, and only complains when you start trying to hammer through some doubled over webbing/velcro/grosgrain.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...