Topic

Modifying a MYOG quilt from Winter to Summer

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedSep 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm

So I was thinking of buying or sewing a new summer quilt for 40-50F. But I realized I could modify the quilt I already have, by removing some insulation. Quilt in question is made from a Ray Way kit, with 2 layers of insulation. I no longer need this as a warm quilt because I now have a WM Ultralight, so it's somewhat expendable if I screw up totally :)

What do you guys recommend to remove a layer of insulation with minimal damage to the quilt? Rip one side seam and re-sew it? I originally made this quilt for a boyfriend, (I won it in the breakup lol!!) and it is a bit longer and wider than I really need. So it is ok if I lose some fabric in this operation. But with the quilting yarn, I think it might be really difficult to remove the insulation. Any advice??

Here are some pics

Quilt 1

Quilt 2

PostedSep 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I like the shape of that quilt. I've never made a Ray-way quilt, but, if I understand the construction, you should be able to flip it inside out, make small cuts in the insulation layer you want to remove (to free it from the yarns), and just turn it right side out again with only a 8-10" opening in the side seam.

PostedSep 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Ah, good idea to try turning it inside out! Might be tricky around the foot box but I can give it a go.

I also think I can just snip the yarns and re-do them, because with less loft they can be shorter anyway. I wonder if it will be more effort to cut around them, or to re-do them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...