Topic

Busted BPL Stix

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Joe Geib BPL Member
PostedSep 12, 2013 at 7:09 am

I recently went to NH to do some AT miles. While packing, I looked at my array of poles and thought, "Why not use these BPL Stix on this trip? I'll be going long miles, and the light weight will certainly be helpful. Also, I've treated these things like gold, and have hardly gotten much use out of them".

Boy was I wrong. Somewhere around mile 12 in my 15-mi/6000' day – beginning my climb up Mt. Lafayette – I was climbing through some rocks, and my foot slipped, sending my weight forward, and snapping my BPL Stix (which was placed next to a rock). Not the best way to finish up a huge day. Now I guess I have to try and find a orphan to match it…

BUT – Is there a fix available?

BPL Stix - Broken

PostedSep 12, 2013 at 7:19 am

One possibility –

PoleSleeve

Look for thin wall brass tubing at Michaels, Home Depot, or your local hardware store. Use a flexible epoxy instead of tape. After cutting and filing the tubing, stick a beefy screwdriver (a phillips works best) in the end and flare it out to prevent cutting the carbon fiber when the pole flexes.

(A "plug" on the inside will subject the fractured tube to radial stresses that will be hard to contain with epoxy or a similar adhesive.)

Gary Dunckel BPL Member
PostedSep 12, 2013 at 7:33 am

Good idea, Greg. I feel your pain, Joe. The BPL Stix are my favorite poles, and I wished that I'd bought several pair of backups when they were available.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...