Topic

Busted BPL Stix

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Busted BPL Stix

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I recently went to NH to do some AT miles. While packing, I looked at my array of poles and thought, "Why not use these BPL Stix on this trip? I'll be going long miles, and the light weight will certainly be helpful. Also, I've treated these things like gold, and have hardly gotten much use out of them".

Boy was I wrong. Somewhere around mile 12 in my 15-mi/6000' day – beginning my climb up Mt. Lafayette – I was climbing through some rocks, and my foot slipped, sending my weight forward, and snapping my BPL Stix (which was placed next to a rock). Not the best way to finish up a huge day. Now I guess I have to try and find a orphan to match it…

BUT – Is there a fix available?

BPL Stix - Broken

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

One possibility –

PoleSleeve

Look for thin wall brass tubing at Michaels, Home Depot, or your local hardware store. Use a flexible epoxy instead of tape. After cutting and filing the tubing, stick a beefy screwdriver (a phillips works best) in the end and flare it out to prevent cutting the carbon fiber when the pole flexes.

(A "plug" on the inside will subject the fractured tube to radial stresses that will be hard to contain with epoxy or a similar adhesive.)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Good idea, Greg. I feel your pain, Joe. The BPL Stix are my favorite poles, and I wished that I'd bought several pair of backups when they were available.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools