Topic

Teton High Route

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Teton High Route

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

Labor Day weekend I completed the Teton High route, which is a version of Paul Petzoldt High Adventure route. Instead of following his exact route at the northern end of the Tetons, bushwhacking from Jackass Pass to Lake of the Woods and then further north to grassy lake road, it takes berry creek down to Jackson Lake, and finishes off at Glade Creek TH along grassy lake road near Flagg Ranch.

This is not the more common Teton Crest trail. Instead of heading down cascade canyon at hurricane pass, the route heads north to table mountain, and eventually links up with Teton crest trail 008 further north. The route stays in the Jedediah Smith Wilderness most of the time, meaning there are no permits required unless you spend the night along the death canyon shelf or in the berry creek area.

The Route is approximately 73 miles from Jackson pass to Glade Creek, and I measured a little over 18,000 feet of gain over the trip.

I have updated my blog with a data book and a trip report yesterday, and I will be updating it this week with my GPX files too. I will be writing a more extensive trip report for TrailGroove magazine in the coming months.

http://mtnnut.wordpress.com/

http://mtnnut.wordpress.com/trail-databooks/

Let me know what you think :-)

Lastly, along the route I met two south bound hikers near badger creek doing the exact same route. They were from the Teton Valley in Idaho. If you know them, or if you guys read this, please PM me. I want to find out some more info about your southbound trip.

-Ted

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

My trip report has been published in the newest issue of TrailGroove Magazine.

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue12.html?autoflip=83

Let me know what you think :-)

-Ted

George Ford
    BPL Member

@eers2u

Locale: West Virginia

Really cool magazine. Haven't read this issue but have really enjoyed the past issues. Keep up the good work!

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Recently they added Google earth to the maps at the end of the articles. So if you have the plug in installed, you can do a fly through of the route.

Brian K
    BPL Member

@briankeenan

Ted,

I am in the planning stages of doing the Teton High Route this Labor Day week like you did 8 years ago.  The section that concerns me the most is the bushwhack up the side of Table Mountain from Hurricane pass.  Your article called this a “terrible scree field.”  You said that you found that “sticking to the thin line of shrubs more to the east kept me away from the loosest rock.  I can see some trees/shrubs on the satellite view in line with the GPX files you posted.  Obviously this is a very steep slope.  Are there any other cautions or suggestions you might provide a fellow traveler for this climb?

I assume that climbing this is far preferable to descending it (i.e. northbound vs. southbound on the route.)  Would you concur?  Are there any other stretches of your route I need to be super careful with?  If you were to do it again, would you change anything?

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools