Topic

sierra trip reccomendations?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning sierra trip reccomendations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    matt n

@basebalplyr88

So I have some time at the end of this month to do a trip. nothing more than 5 days. my aunt and uncle have a cabin in mammoth i'll be helping to close up for the winter so the trip has to end in the mammoth or bishop areas. therefore it does not have to be a loop.
    i have two ideas.

1) south lake – evolution valley – north lake.
    2) tuolumne – agnew meadows

was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or if the above ideas would be something you would choose?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

matt, #1 is good, won't be many folks out, but get to the TH early. Like eat breakfast there.
    Duane

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

In fact, it would be a great time to do the Agnew Meadows trip–since traffic there will be much less than earlier in the year.

That is the one section of the JMT that everyone says is their favorite.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

well, # 2 is also very nice, and it essentially does end at Mammoth.
    the small cirque valley just below Donahue pass, the alpine meadows, The lake with all those islands, the other 3 really nice lakes (of course you want to take the route that goes by Garnet, Ruby, Shadow)
    at 30 ish miles its 3 days at most, unless you want to lounge around a lake for a while or take a side trip to Ediza.
    but you should check the bus schedules, both YARTS and the one going down into Reds Meadow, its getting late in the season.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Of the two, the trip from Tuolomne to Agnew is the easiest. I think the little cirque at Donahue Pass is beautiful and if you haven't seen Thousand Island Lake it's worth the view.

OTOH, the North Lake, South Lake loop is pretty cool. I did it with all of my family this year and solo last year. It also has one of the most spectacular spots on the JMT: Evolution Valley and the Muir Pass. I have done it both times from South Lake to North Lake but think it is probably a bit easier from North Lake over Paiute. That way you hit Evolution southbound which is a spectacular view. Twice the miles as the first trip. I did it solo in 3 days and 4 days with my family. 5 days would be nice. If you have time, head down to Blaney Hot Springs. It will add 7 miles to the trip but it's always fun to sit in a hot spring in the mountains.

Have fun.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

both are great trips Matt….either one you do you'll love it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools