Just be aware of the reporting bias. If I die while driving to the trailhead, none of you will read about it on the news. If I undercook some bear meat and succumb to trichinosis, you also probably won't hear anything. Whereas if my buddy uses his .338 to make a marmot really, really dead and I die of bubonic plague, that WILL be national news. But I'm just as dead, in any of those scenarios.
Another 8 people dead today on the nation's highways – no news.
Two tourists die last month when a 777 pilot biffs a landing at SFO and everyone hears about it.
8>2.
25,000 highway deaths/year > 15 commercial airline deaths/year.
Dead is dead. Let's stop glorifying dead stockbrokers who died when 95 stories of building landed on them and let's consider all deaths, even of mothers, children and the elderly as all being tragic.
Sorry, I'm in a bad mood today. I try to fly on 9-11 because the fares are down and the lines are short. Instead, I'm at home, remembering some friends and family I wish were still with me.