Topic

Waterproofing the bottom of down booties?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterproofing the bottom of down booties?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I've got some REI down booties that have some sort of dense foam as a sole, with nylon fabric covering it.

What could I spray or paint on that will make the soles waterproof without adding too much weight?

I was thinking just a typical mixture of silicone and mineral spirits like you'd use for seam sealing a tent. Any other ideas?

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have the same booties. Why do you need to do that? If you're wearing them in the snow in camp, then they probably won't get very wet. Otherwise, you could just use produce bags from the grocery store or something. Since the rest of the fabric isn't waterproof, unless you sealed the whole thing, I don't think sealing the bottom will do much. And if you seal the entire thing, your for sweat will wet out the down.

Maybe you can seal the bottom seams like you said and just use some good DWR on the rest of the fabric. Like Atsko Snow Seal permanent water guard or water guard extreme from amazon.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Why is a good question indeed.

I found that the bottom did get wet from the heat of my feet melting the snow. Or so it seemed. That moisture found its way into the boots, degrading loft. I wear VBLs in the boots so its not sweat.

I know its not ideal, but I have to assume waterproofing the bottom will help out at least.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'd carry a pair of plastic produce or bread bags and some rubber bands to hold them on.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Trav,

Ben Smith makes decent sil over booties with cordura bottoms with removable foam inserts.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Craig; yeah, I was also thinking of that, but I was looking for a more permanent, integrated solution. Less fiddle when the temps drop.

Stephen; I'd like some of Ben's stuff, but we're trying to watch expenses.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Trying to watch expenses Travis?

Craig's sandwich bag bootie covers sound about right.

Now the question is, Iron Kids bread or Milton's Multi Grain?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I can't remember what it's called, but I remembering seeing this rubber compound in a tube. You can spray it on the bottom of a shoe sole. It's used on leather soled moccasins or mukluks for better traction.
    I think that would work.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Trav,

Some plastic bags would do the same job :-)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I totally get the plastic bag idea, and it will work. But if I can, I'd like to simply coat the bottom with something instead of another layer of "clothing."

I also wonder about the slipperiness of a plastic baggie on snow. Then again, if I coat the bottom of the boots with something, that might be slippery too.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

how about diluted seam sealer.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Try the stuff used to recoat waterproof tent fabrics. Kenyon Recoat, McNett TentSure, there are others. They don't add much weight and they mostly soak into the fabric so it doesn't become slick.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Hmm, there's something to look into. Thanks Elliott

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools