Topic

Waterproofing the bottom of down booties?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Travis L BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I've got some REI down booties that have some sort of dense foam as a sole, with nylon fabric covering it.

What could I spray or paint on that will make the soles waterproof without adding too much weight?

I was thinking just a typical mixture of silicone and mineral spirits like you'd use for seam sealing a tent. Any other ideas?

PostedSep 9, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I have the same booties. Why do you need to do that? If you're wearing them in the snow in camp, then they probably won't get very wet. Otherwise, you could just use produce bags from the grocery store or something. Since the rest of the fabric isn't waterproof, unless you sealed the whole thing, I don't think sealing the bottom will do much. And if you seal the entire thing, your for sweat will wet out the down.

Maybe you can seal the bottom seams like you said and just use some good DWR on the rest of the fabric. Like Atsko Snow Seal permanent water guard or water guard extreme from amazon.

Travis L BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Why is a good question indeed.

I found that the bottom did get wet from the heat of my feet melting the snow. Or so it seemed. That moisture found its way into the boots, degrading loft. I wear VBLs in the boots so its not sweat.

I know its not ideal, but I have to assume waterproofing the bottom will help out at least.

PostedSep 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I'd carry a pair of plastic produce or bread bags and some rubber bands to hold them on.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Trav,

Ben Smith makes decent sil over booties with cordura bottoms with removable foam inserts.

Travis L BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Craig; yeah, I was also thinking of that, but I was looking for a more permanent, integrated solution. Less fiddle when the temps drop.

Stephen; I'd like some of Ben's stuff, but we're trying to watch expenses.

Eugene Smith BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Trying to watch expenses Travis?

Craig's sandwich bag bootie covers sound about right.

Now the question is, Iron Kids bread or Milton's Multi Grain?

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I can't remember what it's called, but I remembering seeing this rubber compound in a tube. You can spray it on the bottom of a shoe sole. It's used on leather soled moccasins or mukluks for better traction.
I think that would work.

Travis L BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I totally get the plastic bag idea, and it will work. But if I can, I'd like to simply coat the bottom with something instead of another layer of "clothing."

I also wonder about the slipperiness of a plastic baggie on snow. Then again, if I coat the bottom of the boots with something, that might be slippery too.

Elliott Wolin BPL Member
PostedSep 10, 2013 at 10:29 am

Try the stuff used to recoat waterproof tent fabrics. Kenyon Recoat, McNett TentSure, there are others. They don't add much weight and they mostly soak into the fabric so it doesn't become slick.

Travis L BPL Member
PostedSep 11, 2013 at 3:55 am

Hmm, there's something to look into. Thanks Elliott

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...