Topic

OR Helium 2

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I picked one up for $80 for the coming fall/winter running season. I needed something light that would not wet out quickly in damp vegetation or rain like my Houdini was prone to quickly do. Prior to this purchase, my only rainwear was an Arc'Teryx Goretex Paclite hardshell that weighed in at about 14 ounces and a Driducks suit for more UL trips. Both had their shortcomings; the Arc'Teryx is bomber as raingear and a winter shell but too bulky to pack when running. The Driducks are light and functional, but are too delicate for any bushwhacking and the fit is really sloppy. Hoping the Helium will bridge the gap.

Pictured center is my Patagonia Houdini, 4.7 ounces in XL. The OR Helium 2 is 6.7 ounces in XL. It easily compresses down to the size of the Houdini.

I was primarily interested in size and weight; I wish more manufacturers would post picks of their garments/items when compressed. As part of a running kit, this is an important consideration.

Thought I'd throw this up for comparison for anyone interested.

David C.'s BPL review of it (which sounded good enough for my purposes) is here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ul_wpb_jackets_sotmr_part2#.Ui5wmhZBSu4

1
Cheers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Loading...