Topic

Ultralight pack options

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
HeathP BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I am trying to narrow down decisions for an ultralight pack purchase and I am having a hard time making a decision between the following packs

ULA Ohm 2.0
Gossamer Gear Mariposa
GoLite Jam 70
Granite Gear Crown VC 60

Lastly the Terra Nova Voyager 55 pack (British company). I really like the design of the this one yet I can't find a single review of it anywhere.

I currently have a 3,960 cubic inch Osprey pack and could go down a bit in size but I honestly like that size and that is why I have been gravitating towards the larger lighter packs.

I like the ULA Ohm 2.0 but don't know about it not having a roll top or pack head (which I like to keep easily accessible things in), the Mariposa design is nice but the back padding situation looks a bit hokey to me, GoLite seems like it has good reviews but from what I've seen and read GoLite doesn't keep enough stock so ordering is frustrating, the granite gear pack seems to be well reviewed but has some durability issues. I would love peoples thoughts on these packs or others but I am trying to steer clear of cuben fiber packs so I'd rather not go there for the time being.

PostedSep 9, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Why not cuben packs?

The ones made by HMG and Zpacks use close to a 3 oz per aq yard fabric. With the proximity of the dyneema threads, the fabric is going to be at least as durable as a 210d dynmeema gridstop. These packs aren't made with the 0.74 stuff.

HeathP BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Honestly I just really don't like the look or feel of the fabric. I have some cuben fiber stuff sacks and they are great as stuff sacks but I really don't want a whole pack made out of the material.

PostedSep 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm

"Honestly I just really don't like the look or feel of the fabric. I have some cuben fiber stuff sacks and they are great as stuff sacks but I really don't want a whole pack made out of the material."

Not the same material. Actually, not even close. The Hybrid fabric used on the packs is a Cuben Fiber/Polyester hybrid. It is at least as thick as a 210d thread count. Even ULA is now offering packs with this fabric.

HeathP BPL Member
PostedSep 9, 2013 at 2:42 pm

That elemental aquilo bag is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks for the link!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...