I have to burn a few weeks of vacation before the end of the year, and I'm trying to find an awesome trip to take. We are forced to take the week of Thanksgiving, so I'm trying to work something in then, and I can add the week before as well. Also, the big scary 4-0 will be on that Monday of the week of Thanksgiving. I expect that I will not be very happy about it, so I would like to try to get very far away from myself for that event.
What are some good options for that time of year? I think the southern hemisphere might be nice in November, no? I've considered the Inca trail, but I've read conflicting reports on whether Nov. is a rainy time there or not. At least it would be less crowded that time of year. But it doesn't have to be there. Actually it doesn't even have to be a backpacking trip, or at least not all of it. I might be able to find someone to go with me, but I'll have to plan on going it alone in case that doesn't work out.
Any good ideas for a "one of a few in a lifetime" trip?

