Topic

how big of a knife do we really need (or how small of knife can we get by with)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) how big of a knife do we really need (or how small of knife can we get by with)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I'm also a fan of small neckers but I use the blind horse knives tiger knapp. You can beat the hell out of those things.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

I have lots of knives, but my favorite lately is this tiny leatherman. Perfect for BPL!itsy bitsy!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

What does the leather man weigh,it appears to have the same length but wider blade as a sak classic and smaller scissors lacks the toothpick and tweezers but stronger blade might be nice

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

.85 oz on my digital scale. I would not dress an elk out with it but that's what my Mora knives are for. its model #831219.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Thank you that looks a bit stronger than the classic and a bit longer on the handle length. I will have to check one out.

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Received one as a present. Beautiful knife!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ive taken a liking to a #11 xacto blade, 0.03oz

I cant imagine using it for anything but cutting dental floss, bear cord, moleskin, ducttape, or a food package.

howver, Im starting to think a scalpel with the plastic handle cut very short would be a nice option too.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I'm never in the woods without my ESEE IZULA neck knife. Small and will get the survival job done. If alone on an overnight I'll also carry an ESEE-4.

IZULAESEE-4

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

An-D, I loved those photos!

For me the smallest I’ll go is the Gerber LST ( the bigger version ).

LST

It’s a heck of a knife and has served me well for a very long time as EDC and for backpacking.
    I’m very impressed with what it can easily do, including field dressing a deer and light batoning. It’s also reasonably priced!

The swiss army classic is a great and very useful knife, but when I carried one backpacking it went in my backpack and my Gerber LST still rode in my pants pocket, I just couldn’t leave it behind.
    My Classic has a G.I. P38 can opener on the key ring making it even more multipurpose. Typically it does toe nail and finger nail duty at the end of the day, or is broken out to open the rare can of tuna or what-not, and that’s about it, but I reckon it is a useful backup.
    The Gerber gets used several times a day and is always close at hand in my pocket.

A knife I have just gotten this summer is the Wenger Evo 17.

This handy little tool has a nifty saw, scissors, a great nail file ( the main reason I got this knife over similar Victorinox offerings ) a locking main blade ( pretty cool on a swiss army knife ) in addition to the usual can opener, bottle opener/screw driver, crock screw ( essential since I drink wine ), awl, tooth pick and tweezers.

evo 17

I figured this knife has everything a backpacker could ever want, but it is slightly heavier than my old Gerber LST / Swiss Classic / P38 combo, and a little bulky in my pocket.
    I’ve been carrying it alone on trips this summer. The nail file got used a very great deal it seems either my wife or I was always breaking a nail!
    I’m still a little on the fence about it, part of me still prefers the slender-yet-very-robust-Gerber.

John Coyle, I find it interesting you brought up the one-handed GAK.
    I also purchased a black handled version of that knife this summer, also with an eye towards backpacking, and am very impressed by it.
    It’s heavy, but rides in a back pocket well. The saw is awesome and the blade locks very sturdily. I think this is an excellent choice for fieldcraft.

My wife has used a Victorinox Spartan for twenty years now. I’m pretty sure it was the first decent pocket knife she ever owned, and she has no complaints or desire to upgrade.
    Spartan

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools