Topic

Jungle footwear for the rainy season

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
— BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm heading to Costa Rica in November. I'd like to bring just one pair of shoes for the beach and the jungle. I've considered:

Chacos: no toe protection, wouldn't be allowed by some touristy places (zipline etc) ; easy to evacuate pebbles and water

Keens: toe protection; less easy to evacuate stuff

Running shoes: toe protection; won't dry, smell bad

Crocs?
Water shoes?
Combination?

Thanks for your advice.

PostedSep 11, 2013 at 9:38 am

I know folks sometimes go jungle trekking with a pair of canvas sneakers and toss ’em when the trip is done. There are also a handful of canvas boots out there; the IDF uses a model.

Richard May BPL Member
PostedSep 11, 2013 at 3:54 pm

You'll be fine with the sandals for 90% of everything. If you're used to hiking in them already then use them for that here too. It isn't so different, just muddy on occasion.

I'm pretty sure the zip-lines will allow you to use them if they're secured with heel straps. You need them when landing at the far platforms and don't want to lose them mid-flight. Granted, sneakers will do a better job. The trails at these places are very well kept so it won't be much of a problem if you wear closed shoes.

PostedSep 12, 2013 at 10:26 am

I'll likely be going to Costa Rica in January and I've decided on Keene synthetic top sandals.

I've been in the Philippines several times including Peace Corps seervice and found Teva type river sandals work well too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...