Topic

Porcupine Mountains in September

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Porcupine Mountains in September

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

Locale: Michigan

My nephew just started at tech and I was planning on visiting him in a couple if weeks and figured that I would take a side trip to the Porkies for 3-5 days. Any recommendations or gear advice?

I coming from mid Michigan, but haven't spent much time in the up. This will also be my first multi night solo hike, which should be interesting.

Any advice is appreciated.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

You couldn't pick a better time to visit. Daytime temps in the 50-65 F range. Night temps 30-40s. Be prepared for sub freezing. Bugs mostly gone.

I usually bring poncho tarp, 30F quilt, cookware, and fishing gear.
    Clothing:
    Merino baselayer and nylon pants to hike in.
    Wind shirt if cold while hiking
    Lightweight synthetic puffy for rest stops and camp.

It's a great time of year for minimalism.

Others may have different preferences, but it's a great time to be out, regardless.

Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

Thanks Ike. It looks like the plan is to hit the trail next week Thursday and finish up some time Sunday. Any advice on trails?

*edit was to add next week to clarify timing

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

You can do most of, if not all of the trail system in 3-5 days. At any rate, I'd be sure to do the shoreline trail and the ridge trails like the Escarpment and Government Peak.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

You can put together a really nice loop with the superior trail, big carp river trail (my favorite, actually), escarpment, government, etc. It's a Midwestern gem

Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

My preference would be a loop so I can avoid having to shuttle. Any thoughts on something like this:

Escarpment Trail (W)
    Big Carp River Trail (SW)
    Lake Superior Trail (NE)
    North Mirror Lake Trail (S)
    Government Peak Trail (E)
    Lost Lake Trail (N)

I have never been to the area, so any suggestions are REALLY appreciated.

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

Those are all really nice trails. If you plan on camping on Lake Superior make sure to get moving early that day. The campsites are extremely popular. Even in early October I've been pushed extra far looking for an open site. The Big Carp trail is spectacular. If you can camp at Shining Cloud falls it is highly recommended. It's an amazing campsite. Also consider a loop that brings your through the southern part of the park. The Little Carp trail is my favorite hands down. If your hiking south on Mirror Lake be prepared for the climb out of the river valley. It's pretty intense for the midwest.;) However the ravine that runs alongside it is amazing scenery. We've had above normal temperatures up here so far but it should be cooler by the time you head in. Or so I'm dearly hoping.

Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

Thanks everyone for the help. My hiking partner wants the option to keep the miles low (~8) and stay in cabins as much as possible. Below is my tenative route based on this:

Day 1 – Overlooked Falls to Mirror Lake. Setup camp and day hike to Government Peak

Day 2 – Correction Line Trail to Big Carp River Trail to Lake of the Clouds. Setup camp and day hike the Escarpment Trail.

Day 3 – Lake Superior trail to Big Carp River Trail to Shining Cloud falls. Camp.
    *Have the option of pulling up short if needed since there are so many campsites in the area.

Day 4 – Shining Cloud Falls to Big Carp River/correction intersection, then back track to the Big Carp River Mouth and finish up at the little carp river mouth. Setup camp and day hike south on the Lake Superior Trail.

Day 5 – Hike out to Overlooked Falls and go home.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools