Topic

Best way to repair small holes on a pack?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Last winter my pack took a tumble down a hill and rolled through a big patch of yucca (yucca has super sharp needles that will instantly penetrate your skin if you so much as lightly brush against it).
It was left with a bunch of pinholes on one side and some of them have started to open up into larger holes.

What's the best way to repair this?
Thanks in advance.

p.s.- the pack is an ohm 2.0

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm

And I swear Yucca has poison tips – hurts more than just a sharp puncture

Assuming your pack isn't silnylon, then McNett Seam Grip is good. Polyurethane. Maybe put it on one side, let dry, then do other side.

Even after it dries, if you touch two places together they'll stick and ruin the patch. After it dries maybe 24 hours, you have to rub the surface with some powdery substance like talc, or dry clay dirt, or dry joint compound like spackle.

After you open it, that stuff dries out in the tube after a month or so, so don't get more than you need.

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I think my pack is dyneema (not sure) and I have a tube of the sil nylon seam seal stuff (just use it on a sil tarp). Will that work?
Using an adhesive sounds better than sewing, I was going to put a couple patches over the affected areas.

I think the holes finally opened up when I tried to fit 10 days worth of food/supplies (and a bear canister) into my ohm. Really stretched the fabric and ripped them out.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I put some nasty holes in a pack and MCNett Tenacious tape worked well.

James holden BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 11:28 pm

seam grip on the smaller holes

and either tenacious or duck take on the inside for the big ones, coated with seam grip on both the inside and outside

i put holes in my packs all the time … it works just fine

;)

James holden BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 11:49 pm

round off the pieces of tape you cut, so they are less likely to peel … youll be seam gripping the tape and the edges regardless

;)

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 5:34 am

Sil nylon seam seal stuff (silicone) doesn't work so good on non sil-nylon. Doesn't stick real good, peels off.

They sell a package that has a tiny amount of seam grip, like 1/4 ounce, and a couple tenacious tape patches. Probably enough seam grip for your job, and then you have the tanacious tape in your repair kit for future repairs. For the same price as a bigger tube that you'll have to throw most of away.

I put the remainder of my tube in the freezer. I think maybe it will last longer that way.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...