Topic

OR Ferrosi jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) OR Ferrosi jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Does anyone have any experience with the Ferrosi jacket (or the hoody or the windshirt)? How good is the wind resistance?

David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

I do. I've owned one for about a year and a half.

Most often, I've worn it during winter forest camping/hiking, so wind hasn't been too much of an issue.

But I did wear it on a climb of Rainier in 2012 and again in 2013 and a winter trip to Guadalupe Mountains National Park, both of which saw significant wind. The GMNP trip was particularly windy, with winds around 40 mph and temperatures no more than the upper 20s during the day. On that trip, I wore the jacket as my primary outer layer during my hike up the mountain (with a mid wight wool baselayer) and it did reasonably well with wind-resistance. In the evening, I added a puffy for additional warmth.

I should make a point about sizing: in my experience, the jacket runs small. I have a medium, and it's really just a little too snug for me. I've since ditched it for a Marmot soft shell hoody, so if you're a size medium, drop me a private message. I'll give it to you.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

My favorite softshell so far next to the old Ibex Skifans Schoeller jackets. Breathes well, just a touch of warmth and zero claminess. Works as a base later, wind shell, and bug jacket up to about 75 degrees (out of direct sunlight). It does feel slightly less windproof than a Houdini, but when the wind howls I don't feel the pressing of the jacket and get cold forearms like my Houdini.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools