Topic

Unusual tarp/bivy combo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Unusual tarp/bivy combo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Here's a tarp bivy combo that is a bit different.

The waterproof part of the bivy goes outside of the tarp and the netting top part of the bivy goes under the tarp.

here

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

but it weighs 1 lb 8 oz !

alex hansen

@holden425

Anyone have field experience with a similar setup?
    It seems like if you had a groundsheet under your bivy water might collect and find its way under the tarp. But it seems like a good way to bring a quick and easy bivy for nice nights and a small tarp for those occasional bad weather times.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That's sort of like bivies with raised area over your face with hoop, for example:
    http://www.rei.com/product/747832/outdoor-research-alpine-bivy

Except the raised area over your face has been expanded

The only thing I don't like, is that it wouldn't take much more fabric to have it completely cover the bivy. If there's water on the outside of bivy, it won't breath as good.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

How much does the tarp weigh by itself, I wonder.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

This looks like a classic case of a compromise, marginal at everything, great at nothing. There is minimal bug protection, likely condensation from true waterproof lower end of the bivy and heavy by the standards of alternatives without these issue.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Spelt,

If I recall correctly the Sierra Designs website lists the tarp at about 1 pound.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I saw them a while back and my impression was that it seems like a lot of trouble for the coverage. A poncho tarp and more conventional WPB bivy with bug screen would be more versatile, allowing lean-to and full-lenth a-frame pitching options, or no overhead shelter at all in good weather.

Note the similarity to many of the SMD designs, yet it doesn't provide full coverage. If I'm going to drive all those stakes and tweak a shelter into a taut pitch, I might as well get full coverage and be able to move as I please inside. For comparison, my Gatewood Cape is 11oz and far less expensive.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

marketing departments always have to come up with new "ideas" to differentiate em from the competition …

no matter how little sense it makes

;)

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I'll go with dale on this: MY Gatewood cape is much lighter (I thought mine weighed 10 oz, though), provides full coverage, and provides ample room for me to move around in. I don't need unusual, pragmatic is more like it!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

On the other hand, innovation is trying out different ideas. Sometimes it doesn't work out so good. Sometimes it will stimulate some other idea.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

This is definitely NOT a good idea for some of teh reasons listed above and others which will make themselves apparent when it is used.

They ran the idea up a flagpole but I doubt if many will salute it.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

On the other hand, innovation is trying out different ideas. Sometimes it doesn't work out so good. Sometimes it will stimulate some other idea.

but those fancy "outdoor" companies always try to sell it at $$$$ prices …

real innovation comes from actual use, not marketing departments … thats where feature creep comes in

;)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"real innovation comes from actual use, not marketing departments … "

+1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools