Topic

Strawberry Lakes, Holy Cross Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Strawberry Lakes, Holy Cross Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Link to Blog Here

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It's Labor Day and I'm hoping that most of the crowds are on their way out. Despite a typically busy weekend, the Strawberry Lakes / Lime Creek drainage shouldn't bring out the crowds. The access is a little more difficult and Woods Lake is surrounded by private land with cabins and structures that look completely out of place in an area so pristine. Past Eagle Lake the Forest Service no longer maintains trail and this is usually where people stop their outing.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Kelly and I depart the trailhead and I immediately begin to sweat in the summer heat. I begin to think of how much cooler the air will feel in the next few hours. We skirt around the private property and end up crossing the creek on a bridge just past a small hydro-electric shack.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Waterfalls are a common sight right off the trail throughout the route to Strawberry Lakes.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Kelly crossing the south end of Eagle Lake.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Halfmoon Lake.

The trail from here encounters wet swamps, deadfall, thick brush and miscellaneous trails that dead end to nothing.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Fairview Lake.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Another waterfall with Avalanche Peak (12,803 ft) looming in the background.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We eventually made it to both Strawberry Lakes and begun scouting for camp. I found this old cabin sitting above the lake valley.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The rain came. The rain went.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Killing it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Kelly's best impression of Wilson; this time at a different cabin.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The next morning our plan was to scramble up to the unnamed lake below Avalanche Peak. Some mild class 3 scrambling required to move up, and then down. I've read there's a rumor going around the Colorado peak bagging community that suggests the Sawatch range is mild.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The hike up.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And the reward.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Scoping out the shores.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Returning back to the original drainage and the view north to Fairview Lake.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Pika territory.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That is some beautiful country! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Thank you Ian!

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Tim
    Your going to need to write a guide book pretty soon for off trail routes in that area.

Thanks for the report.

Ben

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools