Topic

Anyone seen the Mont-bell “Sax” color, and other questions.

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
PostedSep 6, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I'm considering picking up an ex light jacket on sale, and Sax looks like the best color available. Has anyone seen it in person? It looks like it might be nice, but might also be sissy. Hard to tell on the web.

I'm hoping that the ex light will have a trim fit as advertised. I'd be ok with the UL down jacket, but it is listed as a regular fit. Any other alternatives for a light puffy for a skinny guy? I recently bought a Patagonia ultralight down shirt, but it was really baggy.

Also, any rumors that Montbell will be changing to water resistant down soon?

Thanks.

Jason G BPL Member
PostedSep 6, 2013 at 7:50 pm

" but might also be sissy"

function over fashion.. ;)

PostedSep 6, 2013 at 10:38 pm

No such thing as sissy colors. The only sissies are the ones who worry about colors. My Patagonia hip pack is purple because purple was $12 cheaper.

I wore these for a month because they were on sale (I eventually sold 'em.)

Sal

Getting ridiculous colors saves you a lot of money. The Yellow/Green arcteryx jacket goes on sale far lower than the black one. I'll be the last to die in the wilderness, because Cessna's will be circling my campsite mistaking me for a landing zone the entire trip.

PostedSep 7, 2013 at 6:36 am

Yes, the ex light is a nice trim fit. It's a tad short, too…fine for me but if you've got a super long torso it might be an issue. I really like the slim fit of the ex light (compared to my alpine light…I cannot compare to the UL).

Mine is blue. I have no idea what color "sax" is. But I agree…I have many, many green and chartreuse things because they tend to be soooo much cheaper. Embrace the color wheel!

M B BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 10:53 am

I think I have a sax colored one. Its kind of a medium grayish blue. I like it, but doesnt matter since it only gets worn on trail. Definitely not an around-town item. Paid about $120 with free shipping for mine 2 yrs ago.

Fairly trim fit. A L fits me nicely. I have a 31" waistand 42" chest so its a bit roomy at the waist. But fits nicely over a 100wt fleece too.

I would like a drawcord at the bottom, and pockets, but given the 5.9oz wt , I can live without them. Just slash openings that let you stick your hands inside the jacket would be a great thing, covered with a flap and add virtually no weight.

I prefer the fit over my nanopuffs huge boxy fit.

John S. BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I thought the sax color shade of blue was only 2013.

M B BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 4:56 pm

"I thought the sax color shade of blue was only 2013."

I couldnt say.
I didnt buy mine this year I know that. Might have been sometime in 2012 , but I thought it was on clearance at the time, hence the low price. Or maybe mines not Sax, but sure looks like it to me.

PostedSep 7, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I had thought of using the EX Light for Intl. business and other trips as well as backpacking, which is why I care about the color. The tasteless American look isn't for me.

M B, why do you say it isn't for use around town? Is it too delicate? I'd just get the UL down jacket with pockets and a thicker fabric, but I'm worried that the fit would be baggy on me.

Jennifer, short is something I have to consider. I don't have a long torso for my height, but I'm skinny so have to wear a small, which results in a shorter torso.

James holden BPL Member
PostedSep 7, 2013 at 11:44 pm

the EXL is pretty delicate … in the city itll catch on metal protrusions like door jams, bike racks, handles, etc …

i always wear mine under another jacket even outside

;)

Ito Jakuchu BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 3:26 am

Agree, better to wear under something else, which is I think a great way to use it in a casual or business setting.

The sax colour is a desaturated greyish blue. I have a Montbell Tachyon windshirt in the sax colour, this image comes quite close.
http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/MTB/MTB0186/SAX.jpg

If you need a longer torso, the Montbell UL Down Guide Parka has a relative long torso. It is not as light though.

M B BPL Member
PostedSep 8, 2013 at 9:25 am

Yeah, the exlite is fairly delicate. Also minimal features, no hand pockets, and waist has no drawcord.

If you wear it under something else as a layer, thats no problem.

I wear a nanopuff around town a lot and Im careful even with that, and even so I now have one small hole from a puppy claw, + several pulled thread loops.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...