Topic

Can Osprey’s frame be bent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can Osprey’s frame be bent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

My mate bought the Osprey Atmos 50 and the external frame is digging into his hip. At full weight it is uncomfortable for him so he decided to bend it out of the way a little. But alas it is a very flexible material. I had a go too but it just springs back into the original place. I am not sure what it's made of but is there a way to bend the frame permanently?

Thanks for your help.

Mik.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Anyone????

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

It's an alloy frame, not carbon or something if I'm not mistaken.
    If bending more globally doesn't work, have you tried the edge of a table or using pliers to bend more locally?

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

I am not sure what the frame is made of and would not have guessed alu as it is extremely springy. 2 pliers/multi grips in the one location is an option just wanted to make sure it wasn't carbon before I start bending away.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

It comes in three sizes – he should try a different size.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

That is what I hate about those solid tubular frames. Plus you really need to make the same exact bend on each side. With the mesh suspension you also need to keep an on the tension.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I had the same issue with a pack of mine (different producer). I took the frame out of the pack and gave it to my friendly neighborhood machinist, who bent it for me. Problem solved. Beer or espresso gift cards work.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Why doesn't he just return it and get a pack that fits him?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools