Topic

Has Anyone completed the Minima Vest kit from thru-hiker.com?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Has Anyone completed the Minima Vest kit from thru-hiker.com?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lawton G
    BPL Member

@disco-1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I´m looking at making the Mimina Vest kit from thru-hiker as opposed to buying a Montbell Thermawrap Vest ($110) or the BWM Cocoon Vest (not available) or a PossumDown Vest ($135). The Minima Vest is much much cheaper.

Has anyone made this vest from the kit? How long did it take? I´ve got sewing experience making a Ray-Way tarp and I´m curious as to what the difficulty level of the Minima Vest project is? How has the vest performed? Does anyone know how the Minima compares to the above mentioned vest?

Thanks, Disco
    [email protected]

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I made the Kinsman pullover which is much the same as the vest. It was one of my first sewing projects but with some help it turned out pretty well. I don't remember how long it took but it would be a one day project if I did it again now.
    As for the the performance of the pullover, I've worn it on days down to about 25* with just a t-shirt underneath and been warm enough. When it gets colder than that I need to throw on a base layer to keep from getting too chilled.
    I think if you've completed a quilt you should be prepared enough to make the vest. All of the kits from thru-hiker that I've made have been great, coming with patterns, instructions, and you can get a hold of AYCE very easily if you run into any problems. I'd say go for it.

Adam

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

I would second what Adam said. I'm making a kinsman pull-over and if you've sewn before you should be fine. Ayce has updated his webiste and you should take a look. I've posed some pictures with questions about the pull-over I'm working on.

I'm not sure I could do it in a single day but it's not hard I'd say if you've got everything ready to go and have spent some time going over the directions.
    2-3 hours cutting out patterns
    2-3 hours sewing liner to insulation
    2-5 hours installing zipper and shell to liner/insulation (zippers can take time the first time you work with them)

JFF

Jeffrey Dunning
    Spectator

@boredomhero

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I started sewing with the Minima. While I could do a much better job now, it turned out ok and I still use it a lot. it gets a lot of comments. Go for it, take your time–I would not recommend all at once. Use the instructions verbatim–if you dont understand (zipper is a first timer challenge) use the thru-hiker forum for clarification.
    Good luck.
    –jeff

darren stephens

@darren5576

Locale: Down Under

G'Day
    I had only made a tarp and a few stuff sacks when i attempted the vest. The size i ordered was a bit big so i ended up making a test pattern out of calico. Id did get a bit hard and i had to call on good old mum to give me a hand. The finished vest is good, I got the fit perfect by modifing the pattern , made the arm holes a bit more snug and added lycra binding to them to add to the warmth. I wear it heaps . I would have to say though over hear in Australia its hard to get UL gear and its very expensive so i was better off making it. If i had as many cheaper options available as you do and add to that the low cost of shipping i would seriously consider weather it was worth making you own.
    But if you want to make it just because thats what you like to do then go for it.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

the Minima is great. I made mine with .6" primaloft for a bit more warmth, Momentum shell ,1.1oz liner, and a #3 molded tooth zipper. It is simple enough if you have some sewing experience. I got the Large and ended up turning it into a Medium, so the sleeves are a little big and boxy. I need to make them smaller and add some elastic to make it a snug fit.
    go for it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools