Topic

Anybody tried Sterno for dry baking?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedSep 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm

When it comes to cooking, Sterno cans are about as useless as tits on a boar. Though I've never tried them myself, I've heard enough old timers tell tales of misery involving disgruntled Boy Scouts eating lukewarm beans and hot cocoa "cooked" over a Sterno can to not need to try it myself. However…

Recently I came to be in possession of a half-dozen or so Sterno cans, and was trying to think of a use for them (aside from garbage can ballast). It occurred to me that their notoriously low heat output might work for dry baking…? Maybe…? I'd try it myself, but I accidentally left my cookset at a friend's house in another state. Oops.

Anybody ever given this a whirl?

Dan Yeruski BPL Member
PostedSep 3, 2013 at 7:38 pm

If you've never tried them how can you say they are worthless as tits on a boar?

You should be able to boil at least 6 cups of water with one can.

PostedSep 3, 2013 at 7:46 pm

It's just jellied denatured alcohol. Should put out close to the same amount of heat as liquid denatured alcohol, if it can burn properly in a regular alcohol stove. Please try it out and report back to us.

Sterno-Inferno!

PostedSep 4, 2013 at 1:09 am

> If you've never tried them how can you say they are worthless
> as tits on a boar?

I'm not sure why you're asking me this. Did I not answer this question in the very sentence you reference?

> …I've heard enough old timers tell tales of misery involving
> disgruntled Boy Scouts eating lukewarm beans and hot cocoa
> "cooked" over a Sterno can to not need to try it myself.

These sentiments are echoed in threads right here on BPL:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=57174
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64537

So, yeah. There you go.

PostedSep 4, 2013 at 1:27 am

> …if it can burn properly in a regular alcohol stove.

Hmm. Taking the fuel out of the can and putting it in a "proper" alcohol-burning stove never occurred to me, but it sounds like a pain in the ass given the stove I use [and original FeatherFire].

I was thinking about using a piece of wire mesh to make a pot stand and simply using the can as intended. I'd hypothesize that the problem with Sterno cans as cooking stoves — and this is purely a guess, so don't quote me here — is the lack of airflow into the, uhh, "combustion chamber." After my original post, it occurred to me that if I drilled a couple of holes near the top of the can, it might function more like a "chimney" stove and, thus, have a greater heat output. Given the fuel has a very high viscosity, small ventilation holes could probably be sufficiently sealed with a wide rubber or silicone band to keep the stuff from leaking out during transport. Such a seal wouldn't be vapor-tight, but I suspect it'd be good enough for a weekend trip.

Hmm. I'll run down to the dollar store tomorrow and pick up a 10 and a 12 cm Imusa mug and see what I can do with this setup. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...