Topic

How much warmth does a bivy add?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How much warmth does a bivy add?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Generally, how much further can I take a sleeping bag in cold temperatures using a bivy sack? Does it vary drastically or is there a generally accepted approximation?

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

From my experience it isn't so much about adding warmth as it is protection. With a small tarp it'll protect from spray and the bottom is a ground cloth. It creates a layer of still air around the bag/quilt so it doesn't loose heat to moving air as easily.

I don't think it adds warmth per se. Bags are often rated for 'in-tent' conditions so the bivy makes up for the lack of coverage of tarp/cowboy camping.

I use a bivy for bug control and often for-go the insulation layer… but that's only when I'm out near the coast.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Oh, shoot. Bonehead moment. I'll go read my own thread….

This is so embarrassing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools