Topic

Off Trail Routes in Colorado

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Off Trail Routes in Colorado

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Meir Gottlieb
    Spectator

@mcg11

Anybody have a recommendation for books or resources with information on off trail travel in Colorado?

Thanks

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Colorado is a big state.

Any particular area you have in mind?

Lisa Foster's Rocky Mtn National Park book is a good place to start for on and off-trail in the park.
    http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mountain-National-Park-Complete/dp/0615526845

Anything by Jen and Gerry Roach is also good:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gerry-Roach/e/B000ARBFI4

Summitpost.com also had excellent info on hikes for specific areas (though aimed at climbing, there is some definite overlap)

Ultimately, the best bet is to grab a good map, see what looks good and then do a little more research based on Da Google. More often than not, Summitpost helps here, too.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

+1 the map and google idea, just look for empty spots on the map that don't look too steep or brushy.

A route I've wanted to do for a long time is the "Alphabetizer" route through Lost Creek Wilderness. I've heard there is some good off trail in the Gore range but I don't know that area.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    Meir Gottlieb
    Spectator

@mcg11

Hey Paul,

Guess I should have been more specific. Anywhere within 2 hours of Boulder works for me.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools