Topic

Lightweight spices and oils – type and storage?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Lightweight spices and oils – type and storage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Been thinking of taking foil packaged meats and cooking them in the lid of my Snowpeak while beans cook in the pot below. Thinking mostly of fajitas but what type of oils and spices should I bring, and in what containers for 1-2 nights?

Note: I tried cooking chicken fajitas about 10 years ago and scotched my GSI Aluminum fry lid, so I know oil will be needed.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Take the packets of oil. http://www.minimus.biz/CF-Sauer-Canola-Olive-Oil-Blend-Packet-F01-0878601-1100.aspx

As for spices…depends on what YOU like :-) I like cumin, chili powder, salt, heck even green Tabasco (which Minimus carries as well). Carry the spices in pill bags (they sell the tiny zip top bags in pharmacies and craft stores, near beads).

A non-stick frypan works best, over a low flame.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I learned about using drinking straws to package up small amounts of powders, either here on Backpackinglight, or maybe on some blog somewhere. You cut off a small section of straw, pinch another segment and fold it back, then slide the small section over it as a sleeve to maintain the pinch. Then pack however long a segment you want with spice, and repeat on the other end to seal it. I have six of these lined up in a small zip-lock bag, with curry, italian seasoning, cinnamon, vanilla powder, garlic powder, and chili powder. Toss in a few packets of salt and pepper from a take-away restaurant, and I have a tiny spice kit that doesn't weigh much, and fits in my cook-kit. I haven't used it much, because I make my own meals and season them at home, and I was almost ready to ditch it from the cook-kit, until I got one meal last time that didn't have enough, then I was glad I had it! I labled each one with a DYMO Labeler, and seal the slide-on ends with scotch tape.

The other food correction thing I have done lately is carry a snack bag with extra mashed potato flakes. If I got too much water in the meal, dump a little in and stir it around = perfect consistency. Have to do that again!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Get your spice mix the way you want it at home instead of carrying individual spices. :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools