Topic

RAB Momentum replacement

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) RAB Momentum replacement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

This is an offshoot of my "dream gear" thread where I am searching for the best rain gear.
    There is a lot of good feedback on the momentum but alas, Rab has discontinued the model.

I searched the RAB home page and all of their light weight models now use Pertex Shield rather than eVent 3 layer which is used in the Momentum. The only eVent shells are now 20 oz and heavier. The Bergen model would best suite what I'm looking for except the ridiculous weight.
    Should I give up on RAB or just try to find last years inventory (Momentum) somewhere?
    Or, as an alternative, is there anything out there as good as the Momentum in eVent ?
    Thanks.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Is the Demand discontinued as well? That's what I have and it's 11 oz. great jacket by the way…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Yep the Demand is discontinued.

OMM and Westcomb seem to be the lightest at the moment.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I did not see the Demand model on their homepage either.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Is the Demand discontinued as well?"

They seem to be moving heavily into Pertex Shield+ for their lightweight waterproofs.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Well that's a bummer. I love their stuff…

And so far, using the Rab Pulse as my I-don't-think-ill-actually-use-this jacket, I'm a huge fan of the pertex shield. But as I said, it's nice as an emergency jacket as opposed to something to wear all day every day. I can see why people don't think it's all that durable. Just haven't had the chance to use mine all that much just yet, so I can't say. But as pack filler? Awesome!

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

have you had a look at Montane?

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Rab Momentum still available here, if you don't mind shipping from the UK. They take UK sales tax off the price when shipping to me here in NZ and their customers service is superb.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-waterproof-shell-c51/shell-jackets-c203/event-momentum-jacket-p427?attribute%5B1%5D=228

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have bought many items from that company when I lived in Europe and they have excellent customer service.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Is it possible a 2014 product launch is around the corner?

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I'm just judging from what's on their lineup at their home page.
    They are showing multiple new designs so that may be the 2014 lineup …..

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Jason they are sold out of the Medium sizes but I appreciate the idea, thanks.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

The Myriad is 14 oz (L) in NeoShell. Everything in the Autumn/Winter 2013 catalog made of eVent is midweight or heavyweight.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Daniel,

That campsaver link I gave in the other thread has a medium listed in "zest" color which is a green shade and is on sale for 195.00. Expensive for a jacket in general, but not for a 3L eVent jacket like the Momentum.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Yeah if I can make up my mind by Fri am I might pull the trigger on that "Zest" jacket, if it's still there. Its twice the price for a Westcomb Shift Lt hoody which was on my short list as well. Color preferences be dammed.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"Is it possible a 2014 product launch is around the corner?"

There has been some 2014 previewed already, but as far as launching goes, their Autumn 2013 stuff is only just hitting shelves, so 6 months minimum until the new range. That said there are definitely some new lighter-weight eVent shells on the way from Rab.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Well I didn't order the Momentum just yet since I dont need it right away and think it's a good idea to wait a little and see what hits the sales, not to mention whatever new gear is in the works.
    So I spent this weeks allowance on a cookstove instead …..

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Rab has no new eVent items in their Spring/Summer 2014 press kit. They do have some 3L Pertex Shield+ items FWIW.

Doug L
    BPL Member

@mothermenke

Locale: Upstate NY

Looks like the Momentum is getting some pocket placement tweaks and being renamed the Newton. Read towards the bottom to see the info:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/2014-gear-preview—rab-launches-packs/11133.html

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That article also says that Rab will be making some 3-layer Pertex Shield + jackets that should improve durability. Interesting.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

That Newton might be here for Autumn/Winter 2014, so if you want to wait a year…

Spring/Summer 2014 will add:

Men's Atmos – 12D Pertex Shield+ 3L – 11oz (minimalist)
    Men's/Women's Xiom – 15D Pertex Shield+ 3L – 15oz/13oz (more featured)
    Men's Pinnacle – 15D Pertex Shield+ 3L -14oz (general use)
    Men's Zenith – 30D Pertex Shield+ 2.5L – 11oz

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Well I can wait until next April or May if I have to.
    I can't count the number of things I have bought that I should have waited on.
    If it will be a year or more I will get a Momentum or something else similar…
    Thanks for the info folks.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I'm in "wait" mode for a rainjacket also, and am making do with a FroggToggs DriDucks in the meantime. It's a decent, inexpensive way to wait for a better jacket.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools